sulcata tortoise - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

sulcata tortoise

So i have a sulcata tortoise (african spurred tortoise) and i noticed the other day that his nose was wet n he blew a bubble out of it! i think Peanut (his name) had a cold. hes not doing it anymore, poor thing. i hope its not a bad thing! i worry about him because hes just a little baby, about 2 1/2 inches long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

its not a cold it is a respitory infection reptiles do not get get colds. they don't go away on their own.

You may be lucky and have him snalt however i don't know if torts do that like iguanas do, but you need to get him in to the vets. ASAP.

And those torts get to be 65 lb bull dozers for anyone one that doesn't know, they are not a cute pet for everyone! (just for general information)

Now post some pics of your baby they are adorable.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Herp Nerd

Kendalle is right, respiratory infection is usually the fear when a tortoise blows bubbles, but if it just happened once, it may not be. Most of my tortoises like playing in their water, and will sometimes blow a random bubble after they do... but you should probably have him checked out by a qualified tortoise vet. A respiratory infection is not something you want to "wait and see", especially in such a young animal.

Respiratory infections are almost always caused by improper temperatures. Have a look at your enclosure, use a couple of different thermometers to make sure the temperatures are correct.

Sulcata tortoises aren't so much a pet, as they are a family heirloom. Hope you're prepared. They're so cute as tiny little babies, but they're a heck of a lot of work as large adults. Something as simple as getting them into a vehicle to take them to the vet can be a trial.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

true. thanks for the response! its easier to explain it as a cold. he only had it for a day, but i will get it checked out. i need to put more posts so i can put pictures. it feels like i'll never hit 20!
i cant wait to share all my pictures !

Tags
tortoise