tank for a res? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

tank for a res?

i know alot of people use containers for their turtles, im just wondering how you would set one up? i was looking into using a kiddy pool i even bought one but i cant use it cause its inflatable and obviously would pop, and ive used a rather large plastic container, before i knew how to properly care for the turtle which i feel horrible about. so i was wondering how everyone attached the filter and everything to a container or specifically a kiddy pool cause im currently trying to find a hard plastic one any advice would be great thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rue&mummbles my lovely degus always keep me up with their squeakkky wheel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love hearing them squeak when i enter the room
i love my little chimichangas =]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

actually would zoo med turtle tub be a good option? do any of you guys have it?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Betta Bomb

Well, I kept Jabori in a million gallon (not really, but it was like 50-100 gallon) plastic tub for like 9 years or something. Then I bought his first glass tank when I decided 2 plastic tubs werent enough with my newest turt Stumpy, and wanted heavier maintenance ^-^. The thing with plastic is it holds onto bacteria and when washing with an itty bitty amount of bleach ( 1part to like 5parts water) it it hard to wash off so you waste water rinsing and re-rinsing.
I googled the Zoo Med tub and it looks like a convenient tub for a turtle but I noticed when I lived with my old roomate she kept one of her turtles in one of them black pool things and became nearly neurotic because she coulsnt see out of it, only could look up. On the other hand, one of the pet stores here has 3 res as part of their live display of non-sellable animals and they are also kept in a black tub but they seem ok because they can climb out and walk around this huge fenced in dry land bit.
My only concerns would be that the turtle cannot see through it and there fore becomes lethargic with boredom and lack of things to watch. I think it gets pretty lonely being a turtle.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on, thr plastic ones are fine, the suction cups on filters and things DO attach to plastic but keep both the suction cups and the plastic clean from slippery algae or it may slide off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yeah i was wondering about it cause i had the little kiddy pool set up and i couldnt figure out how to attach everything i was going to build a wooden stand thing to put on the side of the pool to hold everything... and if i had a heater in the container it wouldnt melt it or anything? i think im just going to get a huge rubbermaid, how should i build the ramp though cause everytime i do it it ends up being this small little land area and a huge water area and then the land starts to spread out... do those turtle docks with the suction cups stay up id always figured theyd just fall off or something. then again i may just be overthinking all of this

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

oh god turtle shack is selling 3 baby res for the price of one.... thats really terrible.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Eww!! I hate the selling of new turtles b/c theyre SO cute when theyre small but then they end up either in lakes and ponds or from home to home. My Stumpy Jabora came to me this way: all the nails on one paw comletly gone forever, his shell is deformed and he has breathing problems. Sickening -_-
As for the Rubbermaid, the heater is on suction cups so the heater isnt directly touching the plastic, also the suction cup basking ramps will stay on for as long as the plastic remains algae free. Good luck!

Tags
red eared slider