Tortoise / Turtle ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Tortoise / Turtle ?

I saw this tonight in the stream behind my house.

I think it is a "Painted Turtle" but I am not sure and the Pic is pretty dark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Curmudgeon

Hard to tell from the pic. I'd doubt that it was a tortiose...

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:59 PM

That's definately not a tortoise. For one, none are native to your area. Plus they're not too fond of water, since they can't swim too well. It looks more like a common musk turtle, aka stinkpot (Sternotherus odoratus).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info... atleast I can tell people that I have a stinkpot in my stream
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 PM

Furscalys right. Torts cant swim. Mine love their soaks, but if they were put into water where their head couldnt be above it they would die.

My guess is by lighting the photo on my computer that it is a (Apalone Ferox) AKA: Florida Soft Shell Turtle.

To me it looks nothing like a painted turtle. They shell has that extra dip thing going on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Herp Nerd

Florida softshell, in New York? I guess he shouldn't have made that right turn at Albuquerque. The spiny softshell is found in the western part of the state, but softshells look pretty distinctive.

Pointed nose, domed carapace, I'd probably go with a musk turtle as well. Could you make an estimate as to how big it was? Common musk turtles usually top out around four inches.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 PM

Who knows. People buy them and ditch them. Soft Shells have a bite that can give a snapper a run for their money! People buy lots of critters that arent native to where they live and then release them when they no longer want them or are afriad of them. Hence the Crocs & Gators in NY!

We have a few Florida Soft Shell Turtles in a local Park There are 3 huge lakes that go into each other and someone let them lose. Its fresh water and they have ton of food. So they Thrive, and i live in CALIFORNIA! 3,000 mi from Florida. lolz!
Or did he just steal someones money and hop a train to to NY so he could see the big apple.. Who knows Heck a cat fly to paris. LOLZ!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Herp Nerd

The spiny softshell is native to southern California, are you sure you're looking at a Florida softshell? It is sadly very true that pets get released all the time, the red eared slider is now found in pretty much every body of decent fresh water in the US - primarily because of people spreading them around. Its a shame that doesn't seem to work real well for the more rare species, like wood turtles.

Anyway, someone once said, the simplest answer is usually the right one. I'd be much more inclined to go with something native to the area as a guess first - if that doesn't fit, then perhaps move on to other things. I've run into some really weird cases around here, especially around the university when students leave and offload animals.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:54 PM

LOLZ! Yes I am sure they are Florida Soft Shells. A couple kids caught 2 of them from the park to keep as pets and the parents brought them into the vets office because PetCo aand Pets Mart had no clue what type of turtles they were.

Hey if Florida ever runs out of Their turtles we have a non-captive breeding program right in Southern California in a public park.

lolz!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Any Florida Red Bellied turtles in California?

Just wondering b/c I have one in Pennsylvania. But he only summers in the pond. He winters in a tank inside. It's much to cold outside in January in Pennsylvania for a native Floridian!

He's a big bratty boy turtle - but he's beautiful!!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Herp Nerd

Florida Red Bellied Turtles (Pseudemys nelsoni), or Red Bellied Cooters as they're sometimes called, are definitely not native to California, but as they are very common in the pet trade. The chances of them being released in places they aren't supposed to be is, sadly, pretty high. There is also an Eastern Red Bellied Turtle (Pseudemys rubriventris), which often in pet stores can be labelled as the Florida species to skirt around certain laws on which species are allowed to be sold where - and the people in charge of monitoring this sort of thing usually don't know any better.

Cooters and Sliders are both very adaptable species, and can establish just about anywhere there is suitable habitat.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am not even positive that Oscar is a Florida Red Belly. A very nice docent from the Philadelphia Zoo helped me with trying to figure out what he is. But it was all done via email. So there is some room for error. I purchased him at a pet store and I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. I knew they lived forever and that is most of the reason I got him. I kept killing my gold fish and I was sad. So my bf at the time wanted me to get something more durable. He was the size of a half dollar when I got him. 13 years later his shell measure about 8-9 inches. He is a big boy! He is beautiful and I love him but I would never recommend a turtle as a pet. He is a ton more work then I ever thought he would be. I have a great set up now. 75 gallon tank with a canister filter the proper lighting etc etc etc which brings me to another point they can expensive especially when you have a small pond installed in your backyard to make him a nice summer home! He does love his pond though. He is so happy when he is out there. He walks around the yard goes in the little stream and jumps into the pond!

Sorry I could go on about all my babies for hours!!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:57 PM

well, as other people have definitely already said, it's not a tortoise. for one, tortoises generally don't swim, and have higher shells [they're not as flat, like the turtle's is made for swimming, to be more water dynamic.] it's possible that it is a painted turtle, but it's hard to tell, like you said, the pic is dark. either way, painted or not, it's a beautiful little guy. you're lucky to have seen him. it looks like a beautiful pond, too, not that you can really tell from this pic.

Tags
eared slider, gold fish, pet store, pet stores, pet trade, red eared slider