Turtle eggs - moveable? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Turtle eggs - moveable?

I just had a phone call and our vet here doesn't know the answer. I'm calling a couple other reptile-savvy vets but thought one of you might know.

The client is watching a turtle lay eggs next to his sidewalk. He said ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem whatsoever, but they're moving in 3 weeks and don't want them to get trampled or otherwise harmed. He's wondering if he can move them to a safer spot once she's done. He said it was a box turtle but who knows how knowledgeable he is on turtles ...

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 12:43 AM

Yes, the eggs can be moved. He would want to bury them in a sandy substrate similar to where he found them, but in a safer place of course. He should be careful to move the eggs so that they are in a similar arrangement to the way he found them.

Here is a good reference: http://www.boxturtlesite.org/bred.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 12:52 PM

It is VERY important that if they are moved..they are moved as soon as possible.

1) Take a marker and place a dot on the top of each egg BEFORE MOVING IT
by "top" I mean however it is laying when she lays them the part facing the sky is the top...

2) VERY CAREFULLY pick up the eggs making sure that they are NOT TURNED ... many people use a spoon to transport them ...

Did I mention that you should NOT TURN THE EGG??
Turning the egg can crush the embryo with the yolk or disconnect vital blood vessels that connect the embryo to the yolk sack.

3) Set them back down VERY CAREFULLY ensuring that the "top" is still on top and trying to arrange them as they were as best as you can...

If they are going to be burried outside to remain as natural as possible be aware that other animals will be prone to digging them up and eating them. Ants are also one of the eggs BIGGEST enemies.... also note that usually the eggs will only be burried a couple of inches deep depending on the type of the turtle that is laying them.

If they plan to incubate the eggs inside do a search on engines such as http://www.Google.com or within the forums at http://www.TurtleTimes.com there's a lot of information out there for how to do it..

A starting point may also be http://www.diamondbackterrapin.com/incubation.html

If they are reburried outside...try to suggest that the area gets a lil chicken wire fence (over the top too!) around it to protect them from several other predators... it wont stop the ants but it will help save them from larger animals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Picolio is right ... I recognize her from turtletimes.com ... She knows her stuff.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:22 PM

ACK!!!!! I've been had!

<runs to hide in the pond weeds>

Tags
box turtle, chicken wire, lay eggs