Turtle with a shell problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Turtle with a shell problem

Please help...I work in a college biology department. We have a pet turtle named Teddy. She is (as far as I can tell) a Southern Painted, and she lives in a 10-gallon glass tank that's usually got about 2 gallons of water in it with rocks on one end so she can get out of the water if she wants to. Her shell has been "shedding" for a while and I didn't think anything of it. However, yesterday I noticed that one of the component pieces of her shell (I don't remember what they're called) is coming off. This really concerns me. She also seems to be losing the color on her shell. After reading another thread on this site yesterday, I set up a heat lamp at the end of her tank with the rocks. She eats just fine, but the shell thing has me worried. Any ideas??? Also, there is a filter in her tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM

My reccomendation would be to take her to a veterinarin. Somone who is trained in these instances will be better able to tell you whats going on as with out seeing it or having extensive medical knowledge in that field we cannott tell you what is going on with the turtle. You can find a herp vet, however most vets are trained to see turtles like these guys even if they dont see the exotics.

Best of luck to you and your paint.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:05 PM

Does she have a UV light also? She would need that to produce vitamins that she isnt getting from the sun. That probably is a big problem, also how big is she and what do you feed her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Newborn Pup

hi there could any1 tell me wat i could for my redeared slider shelby her shell has some little white patches on it she has a good uv light and she eats all the time

wat could this b may i ask i hope it not 2 bad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 AM
I am allergic to maths

You will need to start a new thread kittykat, all you will get in this thread is ''this thread is from 2005'', lol