Turtles living in harmony with fish...? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
my bf used to have turles and fish, and the turtles ALWAYS ate the fish, and the turtles just grew and grew. personally i dont' reccommend it
Me either...only cuz my turtle is a glutton and so I KNOW that he would never accept a fish as a tankmate.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Will It Ever Change?

hahahahaha!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I came to the conclusion that I will start buying feeder fish.When I adopt pets I try to have their living habitats as natural as possible.And turtles like fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Will It Ever Change?

fair enough! lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have kept fish with Oscar. In the past I bought him feeder fish that got too big for him - or so I thought. We had them for about a year together than one night Oscar went nuts and attacked them all. He took a side flipper fin off of one. Poor guy couldn't swim right for some time. The fish that were okay I gave to a pet store. The others I nursed back to health and gave to the pet store. Even the one that had his flipper nipped off made it and learned how to swim again. The people I asked for help (way before I found this site) said to flush them. I just couldn't do that.
Now Oscar just has fish with him in the summer in the pond. I think the pond is big enough and Oscar is lazy enough. I also am sure to keep Oscar well fed in the summer. Also full grown Florida red bellies are not supposed to eat fish. Only the babies. Not saying he may not get a craving for them.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 PM

My turtles eat feeder minnows sometimes and my snails...i bought guppies and they had babies one day later my turtle bit the guppys head off..i have a 90 gallon tank and my turtles are juvenile so dont spend alot of money on fish only to have the turtles eat em
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver View Post
I've been hearing a lot about turtles living with goldfish,I even came across a video awhile back that showed a full grown turtle living with a goldfish...& today I was sent this link: http://turtles.meetup.com/44/boards/...thread=2382208

Have any of you tried to accomplish this? I never fed my turtles fish beore,& as far as I know,they were never fed fish [except from a can].
I know that means nothing,they devour worms & bugs
But I want feedback on this as I'm very interested! At some point this year I want to make a huge custom aquarium,or indoor pond & i'd like to give this a try!
OK well i have a Mississippi map turtle living with 3 fish and my turtle is full grown and madly in love with the Malawi cichlid.
This does not mean that you will have such luck as the same turtle has killed a few fish that where dying any way.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

I forgot all about this thread!

My turtles still didn't get fishies...I kept getting too attached to all fish so... I gets attached to EVERYTHiNG
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 10:45 PM

My turtle always chase after the fish.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM

It's a late reply, but yeah everyone is pretty much right. I had some common goldfish living with some sliders and iI could have posted video of them eating turtle pellets side by side that would melt your heart.

Only problem is that one day, sure enough, the goldfish disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver View Post
I've been hearing a lot about turtles living with goldfish...
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Playful Pup

sorry i know this is an old post but my 2 res live with 3 large comets that were there food at one point but just grew like crazy. There is also 2 cat fish in the tank as well. plus there minnows which they do eat. The comets eat turtle pellets right along side of the turtles. Kind of cute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1185.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Newborn Pup

i purchased live bears in hopes my baby turtles will eat them. no luck they eat a few new borns and that's it. i have swordtails, guppies, and mollies. along with a female betta and cory cats and a single loach with my turtles fish wise. they pretty much leave them all alone. last few batches of fish fry they didn't even eat. and had to be rehomed. and my turtles aren't skittish. i also Had 2 crayfish. now we have one. they won't touch my fish. but they ate one of the crayfish 3 times their size in a night. the other has learned to hide. i've heard a few other turtles that way. but it seems to be a crap shoot.

i also have a 75gallon tank. with tons of hiding places. but the fish all swim normal and don't flee and steal the turtles food from them. the biggest turtle is 2" now and the smallest 1.5" so still babies.

Last edited by metal-otaku; 07-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Lol "live bears"

Please look at the dates on this thread. The last post was from June 2010. Even then, it was also a necromancy. Not to mention the question has been answered multiple times within this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

Goldfish make poor feeders--they are known for carrying internal parasites, which can be passed on to a reptile or carnivorous fish. I don't know about the fat content, but the primary nutritional danger is the fact that goldfish are very high in an enzyme called thiaminase. Thiaminase destroys thiamine, and interferes with the absorption of thiamine, so feeding goldfish will lead to a thiamine deficiency. (Rosy-Reds are also poor feeders, but guppies seem to be ok, and Tilapia fish are ok). Freezing destroys thiamine, and can increase thiaminase levels as well, so only feed fresh, never frozen, tilapia.

As for keeping turtles with fish--neither animal will be happy with that arrangement, and the turtles are likely to nip fins at any opportunity that presents itself.

Tags
fish tank, neon tetras, pet store, red ear slider