what type of tortoise should i get? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

what type of tortoise should i get?

getting a tortoise in the next couple of months, have my eye on a couple, just wondering what are peoples experiences with different breeds of tortoises, i have plenty of reptile experince, i just want to get peoples experiences on the different breeds..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I am allergic to maths

A tourtoise is a big commitment and are high maintanance pet, you sound like this is just a spur of the moment impulse sort of thing but thats probably just me. I would go with a red eared slider, they dont grow too big and are pretty common so they are easy to find
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello Earthling

It depends on what you are looking for. What size, how much care etc....

Tortoises are a HUGE commitment seeing are they can out live their owners so you need to think of what will happen to the animal once you are no longer there, they need room, lighting, food etc...

A red eared slider is a turtle BTW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I am allergic to maths

*Smacks forehead* I knew that, my brain doesnt function properly at midnight
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Russians are good, they stay small.

Turtles are just as much work as tortoises

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

excuse me, i know all their need as i have said i have kept repiles, i used to work in a pet shop, have kept different types of tortoises i just want to know peoples opions on teir pets, why people like the type of tortoises they keep,keeps them in a shop an having them as a pet, compleatly different.i know i have kept different types of turtles over the past few years from sliders to maps and would have to say they are alot more work to their land lovin cousins.... i will consider this tortoise an investment and will look after it and expect it to outlive me and be passed onto my child, so not a "just a spur of the moment impulse" ive wanted one all my life, and only now gettting around to getting one hopefully soon..
so any people who keep tortoise out there, would love to hear from you.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Curmudgeon

I'm going to jump in as the devil's advocate and say don't get a tortoise. Even though I used to have them, I think that because they are so difficult to take care of correctly (anyone can care for them poorly, since they are so slow to die) few, if any, people should have them.

I have reservations about anyone keeping an animal that will out live them. Unless you bequeath the money for it's care and have a place for it in some institution, you are just saying "it's not my problem" after I'm gone. I don't see that as responsible. Saying it will be passed on to your child is not a real solution, is it fair to put the responsibility of the tortoise on your child? What are they supposed to do with it when they go off to school or have to move abroad?

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

yet again, i asked for ADVICE...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Curmudgeon

Just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear, doesn't mean it wasn't advice.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

You say you have your eye on a few different species, but don't mention any.
Why don't you say wich you are looking at, and then asking for advice on these. Just saying you want advice on all tortoises make it sound like a spur of the moment thing, even though you say it's something you've been looking into for a couple of monts, and that's why people react this way IMO.

And btw. Working in at petstore and having "other reptiles" dosen't mean you know anything about tortoises.
Like I've had chinchillas for quite a few years now, but that dosen't mean I know the first thing about every other rodent out there...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Newborn Pup

You could spend alot of time reading about the different types of tortoises, as said they are high maintenance pets that live a long time. They are a huge commitment. I read up on them and other tortoises, spoke to tortoise owners etc for about a yr before I got him..I have a 5 yr old redfoot, and they live years. I have grown children and know that my son will take great care of him . There are so many different kinds with different care needed. Another consideration is size,,,,,a sulcata can end up enormous and with that very heavy,,not a tortoise for most people. So there is alot to consider.

Heavenly Hedgehogs
Http:

Last edited by connie_crca; 09-01-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: I wanted to add on to it
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

^^ I agree with bob

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Newborn Pup

I offer greek tortoise.I have one.they are not shy.and they will get used to you soon.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Junior Jouster

I researched russians when i was looking for a tortoise, they seem to be the hardiest tortoise. They also don't eat bugs which i really like! Mine seems to be great, I've had him for about a month now and hes settled into his new home and really fun to have. They also don't get that big (as compared to leopard tortoises and sulcatas) Do some research on them, I'm sure you'll love them!

Mini Horse: Moose
Mini Donkey: Letty
Potbelly Pig: Bubbles
Nigerian Dwarf Goats: Tidy Whitey, Josie, Elroy
Miniature Schnauzer: Leelo
German Wirehaired Pointer: Cricket
Human: Katie

Tags
tortoises