ACF help for a complete begginer? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question ACF help for a complete begginer?

Alright. This seems to be a popular topic, and I've browsed some posts, but I'm still not getting much info.

I ordered some Grow-a-Frogs the other day. I bought the kit, and then started thinking about it, and decided they are probably better cared for if I followed the advice of people who kept them. The little booklet doesn't tell you much. I want my babies to be as healthy as possible, so can you guys give me some help? I have two of them, and planning on housing them together. They're still tadpoles though, with little tiny back legs. No front ones yet. So they're still young. Grow-a-Frog kits come with minerals and things to put in the water for the tadpoles to eat, but once he gets older I read they like bloodworms and brine shrimp. Is that correct?

Also... I've read that they will eat anything and shouldn't always be housed with a fish.... But I was also told that if you give them places to hide, they're okay. Can I put them with my male Betta fish? Or would there be rivalry? How about my Goldfish? [I know they're typical, but they're so cute!] My goldfish are about 4-6 inches long now... Would they eat the frogs?

As you guys can see, I'm so lost... Help?!?

Love until later,
Xx_Rynne_xX

----------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rats! -Buddah & Sampson [Males]
Bella [and babies] & Renesme [Females]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dogs! -Blaze[Chihuahua and Pomeranian] & Celeste[Great Pyranese mix]

Cats! - Mystique[Longhair tortoise shell], Henri [tiger striped], Isis [Himalan Mix], Poison [Burmese]

RIP Magick 12-12-07 through 7-20-08

Fish! - Sparkle [Male Betta]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
is a little "special"

Congrats on your frogs- Youll love them! My ACF is my favorite aquatic pet
If you already have some goldies and bettas, Im guessing you know about water quality and such. ACF need a bare minimum of 10 gallons per frog when theyre adults, so keep in mind youll be needing at least a 20 gallon for your 2, and even bigger if you want them with fish.
Yes, its true they will eat ANYTHING that will fit into their mouth. If it doesnt fit, theyll try to eat it anyway! My Mr. Squishy has even tried to eat his own hand on occassion. Thats also why they need to be kept in sand- they eat and choke on gravel.
As for fish, I personally wouldnt. Your frogs would gobble up your betta, and will also try to eat your goldies. Even if it doesnt kill you fish, it will be extremly stressful on them.
Heres a few things they SHOULD be eating: Froze Bloodworms, Crickets, pellet foods(if theyll take them) feeder fish, brineshrimp, beefheart... Other meats, like hamburger and fish are fine too.
Feel free to ask any other questions!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
acf, african clawed frog