ADF feeding and habitat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ADF feeding and habitat

So I introduced myself in the intro section but wanted to discuss our little Africa in more depth here.

We purchased an adf last week and have had some ups and downs.
I think we're finally getting to a good place but want to really get some solid info on habitat and feeding.

From what I can tell thus far, FROZEN, not freeze dried blood worms are the way to go? If this is the case, are these for purchase at the pet store or where would I get these?

Habitat: Wider, not deeper it sounds like is better so that they can get to the top for air. Gravel isn't a great option, bare bottom good. I realize that they aren't in need of much flair, I'm wondering though if things like rocks, real life plants and such would improve quality of life?

Thanks!

meaganm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
is a little "special"

Hi and welcome to PT!

Yup, frozen blood worms are much better than freeze dried. Pet stores will usually have a freezer with all of their frozen foods in it, and blood worms are very common.

Bare bottom is OK, but personally I use sand because it is easier to keep good water quality & cycle your tank. The problem with a bare bottom tank is that the "good" bacteria that keep your tank cycled dont have many places to grow, since they live primarily in the substrate.
You can still get away with bare bottom, but it just might be a little more difficult.
As for decor, I prefer to keep it rather plain: It makes it easier to clean, and gives them more swimming space. I have a castle and a plant in my ACF's tank right now, and he seems to like it better than before when I had more in there.
And you are right about the tank, width is better than height. How big is your tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome and congrats on your new pet!

Bloodworms (yes, they can be bought at most pet stores) make a great food for dwarf frogs but you want to feed them in addition to other foods. Variety is the key--you can also try frozen mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, chopped earthworms, live blackworms (these are a HUGE hit with most amphibians but aren't sold frozen), frozen krill, pinhead crickets, fruit flies, etc. Many people also feed a pelleted food but in my experience, most frogs ignore pellets, especially at first.

Yup, feel free to decorate, it'll make your frog feel safer. Live plants also improve water quality, just make sure to research plants before getting them (you'd be amazed at how many terrestrial plants are sold as "aquatic" in major pet store chains!). Java ferns, water wisteria, and anubias are some hardy, low-light species.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for a couple of a days.
Was a busy, busy person!

Well......... here's the story.
So after work yesterday I hit a pet store (which sort of was a creepy place, but more on that later....different thread maybe) and picked up a 5 gallon tank.
We were monitoring the water fairly well except we needed to get the heater, which we didn't think the water temp would drop so much.
She didn't have much water in her little tank that we put her in, if only because we had used water from the original fish tank she shared with her glo mates and I didn't want to add straight tap water.
So with the idea of prepping her a bit for the new tank we got some bottled water and added some of that with a little warmer tap water to keep the water temp from going crazy.
She seemed like right away she was going into shock.
We woke up this morning to find her passed on to frog heaven.

Okay so:
a) I never thought I would get so danged attached to a frog.
b) Really enjoyed having a frog as a pet.
c) We're determined as a family to be ADF owners but we are so darned determined to do this so that our pets do not suffer.

SO

This is what we're thinking of right now:

We have the 5 gallon.
Clean it out well with hot water. No detergents.
Set it up with a great heater, proper environment. Add two frogs together at one time.

Interestingly, at the creepy pet store (which sells baby alligators....?) they said gravel was fine. However, I'm not so sure about that.
I went ahead and had purchased some pretty pink (cuz Africa was a girl ) and was really not loving the idea of adding a plastic plant. Would prefer live, but am not wanting to get a live plant without doing this the right way.

SO
Going to reread alot here and the thoughts you both have shared and start setting up the new tank.

meagan
aka africasgranny
rip
africa
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry for your loss .

I wouldn't use bottled water. Tap water is fine, just treat it with a dechlorinator. Prime is my favorite but other brands like AquaSafe will work. Remember to treat all water going in the tank with it, including top-offs.

You were right to question the pet store's suggestion of gravel (sounds like they wanted to sell you gravel). Bare bottom is the easiest to clean (although you can cycle your 5-gallon and in that case may want substrate) but sand (regular play sand is fine, just wash it really well) and larger rocks work (they sell "smooth river rocks" that are a good size).

A 5-gallon is large enough to cycle and keep stable so I would suggest you do that if possible. You have a few options:

-Purchase Tetra SafeStart and use it to seed your tank with "good" bacteria, allowing you to add new frogs immediately
-Add a pinch of fish food to get the cycle going and keep testing your tank and adding food until it's stable (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, some amount of nitrate). Do a partial water change and add the frogs.
-Get filter media from someone who has an established aquarium and either place it under your substrate or in your filter (even just a piece cut off). This will achieve the same effect as the SafeStart.

The second option will take the longest but won't require having to track down a mature aquarium or spend money on SafeStart.

Read this thread on aquarium cycling: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/c...ium-43789.html

Let me know if you have any questions after reading that. I know the chemistry can be overwhelming to new aquarium owners but it's not as bad as it sounds!

For live plants, there are some hardy low-light species that are nearly impossible to kill. Try java ferns, anubias, water wisteria, java moss, and/or flame moss. Java ferns will even happily grow under basic incandescent lighting (do you know what type of lighting you have?). Live plants will speed up the cycling process and make things more stable. They could also potentially save you if you accidentally add frogs before the tank has finished cycling--many live plants will absorb the toxic ammonia.

Make sure you have the following before trying new frogs:

-Heater (get one you can set to a specific temperature as opposed to one that just heats randomly)
-Thermometer (glass or digital, avoid the sticker ones that go on the outside of the glass)
-Basic freshwater aquarium test kit (you at least want tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
food, what to feed them