ADF jumped, I think he has red leg... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ADF jumped, I think he has red leg...

Hi all, this is my first post. I think I have a problem. I keep one of my ADFs (Digger) in a filtered 1 gallon tank with a tiny tiny (<2 inches) little hole on the top. Well, Digger managed to jump out yesterday. I went to go check on him and couldn't find him in the tank. I checked the floor and I found him jumping around covered in dust. He fell about a foot. Anyways he seemed alright except his eyes were shut. I immediately filled a large fish bowl with some water that I had left out in anticipation of the next water change. He perked up right away and opened his eyes. I left him stay in the new tank for overnight and woke up the next morning to find him with red legs and arms. I don't see anything on his belly and he seems perky as usual and is feeding fine. He always has a slight red tint to his arms and legs but it seems much worse now. I went to my local pet store (they are somewhat clueless) and recommended TC Tetracycline and Maracide. Anybody have any recommendations on what I should do? I'm a little confused as to how to handle this. Help is much appreciated

Here's a picture of my little guy… img638.imageshack.us/i/dsc09246.jpg

Last edited by m1k3e221; 05-23-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 PM
is a little "special"

So you put him in brand new, un-cycled water?
Redness can be a sign of ammonia burn in I remember right, but Im not sure if the ammonia could build up that fast...? I would suggest you get your water tested before you start with the chemicals/meds.
Sorry, Im not that much help! Hopefully Sasami will be on soon... She should be able to figure out whats going on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is it possible to get a picture?

Just because he has some redness doesn't mean he has "red leg" and I honestly wouldn't start medicating with random things from the pet store--ADFs are more sensitive than fish and a fish-safe medication could kill a frog.

Instead, keeping him in a clean and stress-free environment would probably give him a better chance of survival. Unfortunately, you aren't going to accomplish that in such a tiny tank. Either you'll have to do water changes constantly (stressing him out) or you'll have to leave him alone (letting ammonia build up and burn him). My advice would be to upgrade to at least a 5-gallon. Technically you could keep him in something a bit smaller but a 5-gallon will cycle easier and give you more room for error. Larger aquariums are overall more stable. If he survives, also consider getting him a buddy--they seem to be social animals .

Good luck.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have a link in the original post, its just missing the http, just paste it in your browser (I'm not allowed to post links I don't have 20 posts) I have a 2.5 gallon tank, maybe that would work?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It says "not found" for me. A 2.5 gallon is still not too stable but anything would be better than a 1-gallon so I'd go ahead and move him there. Make sure you're doing water changes to keep things clean, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'd start cycling a tank ASAP. Smart start worked really well for me as well as using foam from my other tanks. I had my 18 gallon started in 2.5 weeks. I'd recommend getting a 5-10 gallon tank with a filter that is quiet so it doesn't stress him out. Get that tank cycled completely so you can move him in as fast as you can. Also, if he does stop eating or having other problems try a pedialyte bath. They worked wonders with my baby!!

Tags
adf, red leg