ADFs and Tank Filters? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ADFs and Tank Filters?

So after my last post, my frogs have upgraded their lifestyle quite a bit and seem happy. I have one new question though.

I've read mixed things on the internet about filters and water movers (I'm sure there's a proper term, I mean the things that don't actually remove anything from the water, they just create a current at the top) and ADFs. Some sites have said some sort of current is needed to keep algae from growing, others have said ADFs get stressed out by having a current.

Are my frogs okay in their new tank with no current and no filter whatsoever? I change 50% of the water once a week and have a gravel vacuum, is that enough to keep the water stable and clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They don't mind a small amount of current, you just don't want a really strong filter. You don't NEED a filter as long as you do large water changes like you mentioned, filters just make it easier to keep things stable.

I would try maintaining the tank without the filter and then do water tests. If your water parameters stay stable, you're fine. If you start to have issues, look into a small filter (preferably an adjustable one).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:57 PM
is a little "special"

I have a ACF (pretty much the ginormous version of your froggies) and I dont use a filter with him for those reasons, and Ive never had a problem with my water.
Heres what I did to minimize the current in my feeder guppy tank: You know how you can wrap pantyhoes arount the part that sucks things (cant think of the name...) up so that it doesnt suck up your fish? Do that, and then wrap another pantyhoe around the part that the water comes out, and you have virtually no current! It works really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."