African Clawed frogs! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

African Clawed frogs!

I am considering getting one of these! Since I only have one plattie left, I thought it would be a fun little dude to put in my 10gallon. What do you guys think of them? Are they really sensitive to water quality? I havent had any problems with my water latly (I think Im getting my water tested today too) so I probably wont have any problems, but just wondering. Also, I read they where really messy. How often do you clean them? I have 2 filters on it right now and I can add another one if I want. Any advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Oh, and my plattie wouldnt be in with it, so dont worry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Do you want an actual African Clawed or one of the little African Dwarf Clawed?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

I luff my clawed frog. Mine's still pretty small, but it's not even a year old yet. They can get pretty big, unless you mean dwarf frogs, which stay tiny. My little brother has 2 as well and thinks they're kewl pets.

Mine doesn't seem too sensative to water quality. Of course that's not an excuse to have crappy water quality, but they are pretty tolerent from my experiences.

I have a 10 gal tank that I clean usually once every 2 weeks or so. My brother as his 2 frogs in a 55 gal with two really good filters and he only cleans his about once a month, but he does do partial water changes more often.

I think when people talk about them being messy they mean that they are messy eaters, which they can be. I don't really have a problem with mine, I have to hand feed her so she just eats whatever I give her from forceps and doesn't really get any food in her cage. Be really careful not to over feed, becase then the water gets gross and these frogs are little piggies, they will eat themselves silly and get really fat! My brother just throws the food in his tank, and they eat it ALL, every last little piece they can find, so he doesn't have to worry about rotting food either. I think as long as you do water changes and vacume out the bottom of the tank - pretty much as long as you keep up with tank maintance, you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Sasami: I meant the big kind! (Or what ever Dragonrain has. Thats the big kind, right? They get 4inches I think, so its not too big.)

There are 2 up for adoption at Ocean Devotion becuase someone didnt want them, and Im going to adopt one of them. Their albino too!! Im gonna name him Mr. Squishy Man...
I have a pack of bloodworms to feed him, Ill probably buy some frozen krill-shrimp-ish things, and Im thinking about breeding some guppie feeders if I can. My mom seems OK with me getting one, so im really happy! I wont be able to get him until this weekend tho.

Do they need bigger tanks after a few years? I can probably upgrade to a bigger tanks if I need to.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

When I was doing research on them I read that each adult should have 10 gals, so a 10 gal tank should be fine for one adult. It's probably like any other animal though, and the bigger the cage the better!

Mr. Squishy Man is an awsome name! Hehe, they're quite squishy looking frogs!

Post pictures if you can when you adopt one!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm a fan of at least 20-gallons for an adult ACF. A 10-gallon is alright but they seem to do so much better with more space not to mention the tank will be more stable and require less maintenance.

And it's great of you to adopt .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

In a few years I want a 50g for my goldie, and they can live together than. I agree- the bigger the better!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
RAT ADDICT

I used to have two albino African clawed frogs.I loved them.

They are messy eaters and can be gluttons and will try and out almost anything in their mouth.They will even go after fish and eat them.I never kept mine with fish for that reason.

They are escape artists tho.Thats how I lost one of mine.I left the tank open once accidentally and one got out.It was too late when I found him,since they are aquatic frogs.The other one tried to eat a rock and choked.

So my advice is,make sure there is nothing dangerous that they can fit in their mouth and choke on and make sure there are no openings they can fit thru.Thats how I lost my two babies.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I taped down and blocked all escape routes, so he wont be able to get out. But I hope he wont choke on my gravel...

Im sooo exited! Mr Squishy Man arrives TOMARROW!! I got my water tested, and its good, and I set up my tank for him, and evicted my plattie (Shes in with my goldfish in my 20gallon and is very happy). All I need now is my froggie... YAY!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I taped down and blocked all escape routes, so he wont be able to get out. But I hope he wont choke on my gravel...

Be EXTREMELY careful with your gravel. I had an emergency with my ACF earlier this year because she had some sort of abdominal impaction. I didn't think there was any way she would swallow any of the gravel I had in there (her substrate was sand with a smattering of larger gravel pieces), but she sure swallowed something that caused a problem, and I think it was gravel. Luckily we tried a few things and she managed to pass whatever the blockage was. I don't keep any gravel in there now; she has ONLY sand. That's something you'll see on ACF websites, too. The substrate must be small enough to pass if eaten, or MUCH, MUCH too large to be attempted to be eaten.

Good Luck with froggie!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

How do you syphen it with sand tho? thats what Ive always wondered. My gravels not too big, so I dont think ill have a problem. When I post pics, Ill take one of my gravel and you can tell me if its OK.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
How do you syphen it with sand tho? thats what Ive always wondered. My gravels not too big, so I dont think ill have a problem. When I post pics, Ill take one of my gravel and you can tell me if its OK.
It takes a little practice but basically you start the siphon and siphon right above the sand rather then pushing down like with gravel. If that makes sense?

I'm not a fan of gravel at all with ACFs. Bare bottom or sand is the way to go IMO. Easier to clean then gravel anyways.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Hmm, I might try sand... The only thing is, wont changing all my rocks mess up my water quality a bit because all the bacteria is gone...?

Well, I just brought him home and hes AWESOME! He hasnt moved very much tho. Is that normal? Pics are coming soon...

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww cant wait for pics!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

me too - can't wait for pics!

They can be lazy, and he might be a little stressed from his move. Do you have hiding spots and stuff for him in the tank??

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, african clawed frogs, african dwarf, bigger tank, clawed frog, clawed frogs, dwarf frogs