African Clawed has swollen belly - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

African Clawed has swollen belly

I noticed today that my ACF has a pretty big belly. Is anyone on here familiar with dropsy or bloat? How do I know if that's what she has? I'm not finding any reliable methods of treatment, or really a way to know if that's what it is for certain.

I'm going to do a 100% water change for starters.

If there is a bacterial issue, should I add salt? I don't have aquarium salt - I can get some, but is there a ratio of regular salt that is equivalent?

GAH! If something like this is the problem, I know that acting quickly is important. I wish there was an amphibian vet in my town, I'd just take her there and see an expert. sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Don't add any salt at all. That will irritate him.

First fast him for a few days...there's a good chance that he just ate too much/too fast.

If he's still not feeling better in a day or two then a picture will help us figure out the problem .

What size tank is he in and what kind of set-up? What are using as substrate, what are you feeding, what are your water parameters, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:00 PM

A pic would help .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Don't add any salt at all. That will irritate him.

First fast him for a few days...there's a good chance that he just ate too much/too fast.

If he's still not feeling better in a day or two then a picture will help us figure out the problem .

What size tank is he in and what kind of set-up? What are using as substrate, what are you feeding, what are your water parameters, etc.
Thank you. Okay, no salt, and no food for a couple more days. I've been looking at more pictures I could find of bloat anyhow, and it doesn't seem to be adding up. My frog's swelling seems to be more localized. I'm afraid she may have swollowed a rock, even though I tried to be careful to put ones in there that would be too large for her to do so.

Anyhow, she's in a 10-gallon glass tank at the moment with a hood and waterfall filter (not a biowheel anymore - that one splashed water all over the place). The substrate is sand with some larger rocks.

I feed her feeder fish about once every 3 weeks, which she eats over the course of a few days. I then supplement her with beef heart and/or frog brittle twice a week.

I don't do much, okay any, monitoring of the water. I treat it for chlorine/chloramine and make sure the temperature is okay. Other than that, with the properly working filter and with only 1 frog in the tank I never felt water quality should be affected. I do use stress coat to get the water started with beneficial bacteria though.

It's been a while since her last ration of feeder fish; so the last real thing she had to eat was some frog brittle - oh, 2 days ago probably.

Here are some pictures.

The set up:

The belly from the side:

The belly from the front:

Here's an older picture of her - the belly was way flatter:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Title Thief Victim

Hmm i don't know but shes a cutie!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
Hmm i don't know but shes a cutie!
Thanks, Carissa, she is cute. I used to have a male friend for her, but he escaped by climbing up the filter - they are Houdini's.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Title Thief Victim

aww..well good luck in finding out what is wrong if anything :-D

Carissasaurus Rex

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, dear. I really hope she didn't swallow a rock . I have to say, though, it might be possible. As you know, they have big mouths and can swallow large objects.

But there is also a good chance that fasting her will get rid of the problem...maybe she swallowed a big fish whole or something. In the future perhaps you could try feeding her really small fish...although I don't actually recommend feeding feeder fish at all unless you raise them yourself/get them from a really awesome place. Also, never feed goldfish or rosy red minnows. Many ACFs have allergic reactions to them...feeder guppies are a much better fish to feed and are easily bred .

Oh, and she's adorable!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM

She is so cute! Makes me want one!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I think it is a rock . She appears to be trying to move it through, as the lump seems to be a bit lower in her abdomen. I'm going to get all those other bigger rocks out that I thought she couldn't eat. I'm so sad - I've had her for 5 years, since she was an egg!

Sasami - how long do you think is reasonable to give her to try to pass it?

I'm going to talk to one of the vets at work and see if they'll be able to euthanize if necessary. I do not want her to suffer. There are no amphibian vets in my town, but hopefully one of the vets I work with can at least help with that if necessary. She doesn't seem to be in distress for now though.

Thanks so much for the input.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalex0145
She is so cute! Makes me want one!
Thanks, she is cute! They are lots of fun.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Title Thief Victim

good luck! I wish the best for you and her

Carissasaurus Rex

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Title Thief Victim

lil alex..i though you had one?

Carissasaurus Rex

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Aww :[
I hope she did'nt though.
Maybe shes bloating?
I dunno but I hope she gets better.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa
lil alex..i though you had one?

I have an african dwarf frog .

They are smaller, way smaller

Tags