African Dwarf Frogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

African Dwarf Frogs

I am new to this sight and frogs so I am wondering if someone can give me some advise.

I fell in love with a little African Dwarf Frog in the petsore and am thinking of getting 2.

My question is: as they are aquatic, does the tank need to be cycled as it does with fish to prevent losses due to "new tank syndrome?"

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, the tank should be cycled. Though if you have a small tank I'm sure you could get away with just doing 100% water changes .

The biggest problem is that you need to be careful when choosing a filter. You need one that isn't too strong because ADFs are bad swimmers and can get sucked into the filter tube. I personally don't use a filter for my frogs...my live plants take care of the filteration and I stay on top of water changes . If you can I highly suggest getting plants anyways as they love hiding in them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. When you say 100% water changes, how often do you recommend? I am currently cycling a 5 aquarium and I do 20% water changes daily.

I did get a filter but it is basically a small air pump for an air stone that really does not cause much current with a small disposable filter. Do you think that would be safe?

I bought a 2.65 gallon tank.

As I am a novice in regard to frogs I truly appreciate all your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelowbrd21
Thanks for the advice. When you say 100% water changes, how often do you recommend? I am currently cycling a 5 aquarium and I do 20% water changes daily.

I did get a filter but it is basically a small air pump for an air stone that really does not cause much current with a small disposable filter. Do you think that would be safe?

I bought a 2.65 gallon tank.

As I am a novice in regard to frogs I truly appreciate all your advice.
In a 2.65 gallon I would do a 100% water change at least once a week and do a partial water change in between 100% changes. To be honest, that's a bit small for two African Dwarf Frogs. I'm sure it would work if you keep up on top of water changes, though . I would recommend getting some hardy, fast-growing live plants to help with water quality. Duckweed and Hornwort would be excellent choices. Maybe a few java ferns, too.

Yeah, that filter should be safe. It won't actually filter the water much, haha, but that's not a problem in an uncycled tank that gets complete water changes. If the frogs seem bothered by the current then just take it out.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I am also a novice as far as plants go. Is there anything special I need to do for the live plants?

I am going to have to learn as I go along but I want to make sure they have a safe start.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelowbrd21
Thanks again.

I am also a novice as far as plants go. Is there anything special I need to do for the live plants?

I am going to have to learn as I go along but I want to make sure they have a safe start.
Depends on the plants but the ones I suggested are extremely hardy. They will thrive in basic lighting and don't need much special care. You can add a liquid fertilizer such as FloraPride to help them grow. Duckweed is a floating plant, hornwort is a stem plant but can also be left floating for best results, and java ferns need to tied to rocks or driftwood rather then planted. Hornwort will need to be trimmed sometimes and the trimmings will grow into new plants. The reason I suggested plants that aren't planted directly into the substrate is so you don't have to get special plant substrate . These plants tend to grow faster, anyways. If you can't find duckweed, or if it's illegal where you live, then water sprite is another good floating plant.

Remember not to use plain gravel with African Dwarf Frogs because they might swallow a piece and choke. It's better to use large and smooth "river stones" or fine sand. I use the stones, myself.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

African Dwarf Frogs

Thanks for all your advice.

I will set up my tank this weekend and when everything is ready, get my little froggies.

I'll let you know how everything goes

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, dwarf frogs