African Dwarf Frogs vs. African Clawed Frogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

African Dwarf Frogs vs. African Clawed Frogs

I really miss my Marine Toad, Spike, and I'd like to get another amphibian. After doing a TON of research, I've decided to consider getting an African Dwarf Frog of African Clawed Frog. But I can't decide .

So, I was wondering what would the pros and cons be of both species? Also, what size tanks should I be looking into? And I've heard neither frog likes filters so should I not use one? Or just get a small, quiet one? (I'd prefer to use one since it makes life easier, lol)

Oh, and African Dwarf Frogs like friends, correct? So should I get three or four? And with African Clawed Frogs, do they like to be alone?

Maybe I'll just get two different tanks and keep both species, lol .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, and if you have good care sites let me know . I've found a bunch but they say different things, hehe.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Has anyone at least kept any of these animals?

~Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have 2 dwarf clawed frogs right now and 1 african clawed frog.They are not in the same tanks! The african would make a quick meal out of the tiny dwarfs.

Dwarf clawed frogs like to be together.I am hoping to get a couple more soon! I have mine in my community fish tank and they are doing fine.The fish totally ignore the frogs.

African clawed frogs are gluttons and will eat anything they can get in their mouth.I actually just lost an african clawed frog a week ago.He swallowed a pebble and couldn't pass it and ended up choking.I now have sand in the tank.Acf's are also pretty messy, so I do reccommend a filter for them!They can live with their own kind too.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

IF you get either type of frog, you can pair them together, but please- Never put and African Dwarf Frog with African Clawed Frog - the end result will be that the lil dwarf will turn out to be lunch when the clawed frog gets bigger .

I personally have 4 African dwarf frogs, two in each 10 gal tank (I dont use filters) and they seem to love it all the same.

Plus, with and African Clawed frog- you will probably need a bigger tank, for a pair of dwarf frogs a 10 gal tank is fine and very cheap to have.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have 1 African Clawed frog, a 4-year-old female. I used to have a male, but he got out through the ONLY hole in the hood, which is the space where the filter is. I ended up covering that with mesh.

Do watch for this, they are escape artists, and the ACFs will dry out quickly.

I've never owned the dwarf version, so I can't comment on them at all.

I do use a filter with my tank (she's in a 10 gallon) because the water gets dirty very quicly without, especially when feeding dry food. Using feeder fish cuts down on the mess considerably. The filter is quiet (it's a waterfall type) and I really don't think it bothers her considering she likes to bob up and down under the flow .

I'd like to get another ACF so she's not alone, but it's hard to find fully grown ones and she'd just eat a little one.

www.enasco.com has information on xenopus, but it's more from a research point of view than a pet ownership point of view. Nonetheless, there's useful tidbits about water conditions and such. I believe they use only well water at NASCO, but I just use tap water that's treated for chlorine/chloramine (very important) and has some other beneficial stuff in there. I believe it's called Stress Coat.

I'm not all that surprised that the sites you've visited have different information. There's more than one way to raise a critter, and everyone finds what works for them and thinks it's the best. I'd say water quality is supremely important, but other than that they seem pretty easy to rear. I had a BUNCH of them in my lab at one point when over spring break the temperature controls failed and temperature spike caused my tadpoles to metamorphose earlier than expected.

Another interesting note, if you get a male and female ACF they will "sing" to each other, but of course you'll have to be prepared for the possiblity of eggs.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

I had 2, both males...sadly one swallowed a rock and died and the other squeezed thru a hole in the top and I found him when it was too late.Since I have no luck with them, I doubt I will ever have them again!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

This is a pretty old thread . I decided on African Dwarf Frogs but have not gotten them yet...after the newts died I wanted to take a break from keeping amphibians for a little while.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

was the tank you had your sal. a 10?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
was the tank you had your sal. a 10?
I had newts, not salamanders . But yup, it was a 10-gallon and it housed two.

~Stephanie

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, african clawed frogs, african dwarf, african dwarf frog, bigger tank, clawed frog, clawed frogs, doing fine, dry food, dwarf frogs, fish tank, pet owner, tap water