Another New Toad Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Another New Toad Owner

Hi everyone

I found, about 2 weeks ago, an American Toad (I'm pretty sure of it). Right now, I have it in a 10-gallon tank with some rocks and a pool of water and some grass. I've found some grasshoppers to feed it, and it's so cool to watch him eat them. I want to keep it as a pet. I will probably get to pick up some stuff I need at the pet store on Friday (when my mom gets paid).
From what I've read, I need:
Substrate of coconut fiber (usually)
Live crickets/worms/fruit flies/small minnows
a small container for water
hollow logs
a flat stone or two

What tips can y'all give me on taking care of this american toad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Since he's wild, there's a good chance he has parasites so it might be a good idea to have a fecal sample tested by veterinarian.

Your list looks fine but you're missing a couple things. You need dechlorinator to remove chlorine/chloromines/heavy metals from the water (plain tap water can kill him as amphibians are extremely sensitive to that stuff). You'll also need a calcium supplement (such as RepCal) and a reptile multivitamin (like Reptivite).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I will try to get him to a vet. Do I need to see an exotic vet, or just the vet that checks out my dog and cat?
I got some stuff today, but my mom is taking me on Saturday afternoon to get some stuff. I have a couple of rocks, some plants, a good substrate (the toad obviously likes it since he's burrowed into it lol) and a water container. Now, I need:
the live food
calcium supplement
reptile multivitamin
hollow log(s)
water dechlorinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post
Cool, I will try to get him to a vet. Do I need to see an exotic vet, or just the vet that checks out my dog and cat?
I got some stuff today, but my mom is taking me on Saturday afternoon to get some stuff. I have a couple of rocks, some plants, a good substrate (the toad obviously likes it since he's burrowed into it lol) and a water container. Now, I need:
the live food
calcium supplement
reptile multivitamin
hollow log(s)
water dechlorinator
That depends on whether your regular vet ever sees reptiles so I would call. You probably don't have to bring him, just a fecal sample.

Good luck with him . I've found American Toads to be very hardy pets once you get any parasites taken care of.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

I got everything on my list now! I got a cricket keeper for like $8 for the 30 small crickets I bought. Should be nice

I'll post pics later.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I hate not being able to modify posts. grrrrr

anyway, which do you guys think is better, dusting the crickets or gut loading the crickets?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboe View Post
I hate not being able to modify posts. grrrrr

anyway, which do you guys think is better, dusting the crickets or gut loading the crickets?
You should be doing both . There are directions on the bottles that say how often to dust them and they should always be gut-loaded before being fed.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!