Another problem with one of the tadpoles - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Another problem with one of the tadpoles

I'm starting to think that the frogs that laid the eggs I took care of don't have the best of genetics!

Some of you will remember that I'm down to 4 now, because one got dropsy I'm thinking from some kind of organ failure, and passed last weekend.

Now out of the 4 I have left, One is already a frog, two are getting there, one is a little behind the rest but still getting there.

The problem is though - one seems to have deformed front arms. Instead of going out to the side like the other 3, she/he carries his/her arms downward and I've never seen it move them. They look kind of twisted too, and really small. If you look at it from the top, it looks like he doesn't have front arms! I don't think it's in pain or that it broke them, they just grew in like that.

Now I don't know what to do with this little froggie. Right now it's still absorbing it's tail so I don't have to feed it - but once it's tail is gone, it will need to eat. Since ACF often use their front legs to push their food into their mouths, I don't know if he will still be able to get enough food or not.

It looks like next weekend, I'll be bringing the healthy 3 frogs to my brother - he has a 55 gal all set up for them. I'll have to keep the deformed little one because I don't want to give him to my brother and then have him die on him right away or something. Plus, I think if I just keep that one I might be able to get him/her to eat better. Who knows. I'm kind of hopeing that as he grows more his legs get more normal - at least a little.

Any advice? Do you think he'll have problems eating? - that's what I'm the most worried about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is there any chance you can get a picture? I'll do some research and get back to you. Since there are a LOT of structural changes going on in that entire mouth/chest region during metamorphosis. Maybe they appear worse than they actually are due to the changes going on. BUT, there can definitely be calcium/vitamin deficiencies that would cause limb deformities. Could also be thyroid (causes problems with cartilage in late metamorphosis). My question would be, would it be limited to the forelimbs?

Let me see what I can scrounge up online.

Here's a decent link about the thyroid and cartilage laydown in late metamorphosis. This article focuses on hindlimbs, but you can see that the forelimbs are also affected. - scroll through and see if any of the pics look like your guy.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/102/35/12455.pdf

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by millie121; 04-27-2007 at 05:53 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks - let me know if you find anything

I can try to get a picture, but I'm not sure you would really be able to see what I'm talking about. Unless you get really close to him you can't really see his front legs - it looks like he doesn't have any.

Nothing at all is wrong with his back legs, or anything else, and he appears to be healthy otherwise - just as active as the other three.