For anyone with ACF's or ADF's what is your feeding schedule/amounts? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question For anyone with ACF's or ADF's what is your feeding schedule/amounts?

I know everyone is different and that's awesome, but I wanted to see the schedule and amount/types of food you feed your amazing African Clawed Frogs?

Our babies Haus & Froggy D are ACF'S & are 1 years old so they are still small. We feed them 2 red wigglers a piece every other day for the most part (once in awhile 3) with a treat of frozen (but thawed) blood worms at least once a week. They are also bowl trained so once in awhile we will feed them pellets designed specifically for ACF's by putting about 25-28 in the bowl and the 2 boys will share it.

What about you guys?! I think this will be helpful and informative to everyone if we can hear from everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
is a little "special"

I feed Squishy one block of frozen blood worms every other day, and the occasional turtle pellet, live cricket, and live feeder guppy. He can never find the pellets though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

worms are a frogs best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I feed Squishy one block of frozen blood worms every other day, and the occasional turtle pellet, live cricket, and live feeder guppy. He can never find the pellets though.

Have you tried live worms (red wigglers or earth worms if your frogs are full grown)? ACF's LOVE them more than anything ( I've tried a lot of things!) They are so cheap, protein rich and my boys have so much fun with them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
is a little "special"

Ive just never gotten around to buying them, and Im too paranoid to get ones fom outside LOL. Do you have to cut them up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

"worms are the best choice for my frogs"

Not at all..it's actually really fun and makes your frog trust you! Buy red wigglers from your local pet store or bait shop. They come in a container of dirt (MAKE SURE you keep the container in the fridge!)

When you are about to feed: pick your worm and then always rinse it off quickly, then just get your frogs attention by dangling the worm in the water and when you see that you have his attention drop it in right in front of him...after awhile they will just come up and grab it right from your hand easily. It's great to watch. They will consume the worm by using their "hands" to shove into their mouths and they look super cute with fat cheeks! Don't be alarmed if they spit it up and then re-swallow the worm a couple times. They aren't sick or choking it's just how they do it. I have a friend who works at the national zoo in Washington, DC and she told me that they feed their ACF's a diet of only worms. In my opinion, they are the best choice for my 2 frogs.

(I go with red wigglers because my boys are still small, but if you have adult frogs you can definitely use earth worms if you'd like!

You really should try it and let me know how it goes. A whole tub with a bunch of them in it are literally 3 bux! When kept in the fridge, my worms always last by staying alive until the frogs have eaten them all up!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
is a little "special"

Hmm... If I go to the reptile store today, I might pick some up if they have them. Sounds cheaper than bloodworms anyway LOL.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

waaaay cheaper! I promise you won't regret it. Lemme know how it goes!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
is a little "special"

I just picked up those red wigglers today.
How many do you feed yours per meal? I was thinking 2 every other day, but let me know what you think! Squishy is fairly small. Cant wait to try them tonight

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

" I'm so glad you are trying worms! "

I feed them the same amount. Sometimes the size of the worms varies so just use your judgment. My boys honestly just let me know when they are hungry by going into the bowl they used as babies to eat pellets out of. When I got them they were they size of an African Dwarf.

What kind of substrate are you using? Make sure to have something on hand (turkey baster, forceps, etc) in case Squishy doesn't see the worm and it starts to dig into your substrate. If it gets all the way down you will NEVER find it!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
is a little "special"

Sand, so I guess it could burry itself fairly easily LOL! Thanks for the warning!
Can you use metal tweezers? I always thought you werent supposed to, since the metal is bad for frogs... Or is that just copper?
Ill probably just hand feed it to him, or put a plastic lid on the bottom for a dish. I have chopsticks I can use too LOL.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Sand, so I guess it could burry itself fairly easily LOL! Thanks for the warning!
Can you use metal tweezers? I always thought you werent supposed to, since the metal is bad for frogs... Or is that just copper?
Ill probably just hand feed it to him, or put a plastic lid on the bottom for a dish. I have chopsticks I can use too LOL.

Hey, im new to ACF, and i had a few questions about the worms if you ever got around to feeding them
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
is a little "special"

Yup, I fed them for a while. What were your questions?

Tags
acf, diet, food schedule, red wigglers