Big Food Issues! Please Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Big Food Issues! Please Help!

I have a 2 yr old, Siriya, and I just moved our new ADF into her tank. The new frog, Macey, is freakin' tiny! Siriya is acting weird now, though. She is guarding the food with her life rather than chillin' in the zen position like she usually does. She will literally sit on a food pebble even though she isn't eating it! How do I make sure the baby gets her food?!

...AND NOW MATTERS HAVE GOTTEN WORSE! It's gone from just food hoarding to actually Siriya grabbing a hold of Macey's leg- it looked like she did it to stop Macey from trying to eat.

Is there anything available on the market that is made so I wouldn't have to completely extract Macey from the tank and put her in some random container just for her to eat, because I have a feeling it's going to spook her and she might not eat. Also, if I did separate her and she doesn't eat right away how long do I leave her in there for?

PLEASE HELP ME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can buy a breeding net. It's a small container that hangs on the side of the tank (on the inside) that can be used to separate animals .

As for how long, I would target feed (blow food to her with a turkey baster or wiggle worms near her face with tweezers) to make sure she's eating. That way you don't have to worry.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Macey literally needs me to crush her food and feed it to her with a syringe. I wonder how old she will have to be to eat whole pellets? Siriya is full grown and Macey is almost half her size (not quite yet.) I've never had a ADF this small so this is all new to me. Have any of you raised a frog who JUST lost his/her tail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
Macey literally needs me to crush her food and feed it to her with a syringe. I wonder how old she will have to be to eat whole pellets? Siriya is full grown and Macey is almost half her size (not quite yet.) I've never had a ADF this small so this is all new to me. Have any of you raised a frog who JUST lost his/her tail?
I've raised small African dwarf frogs before but I don't typically feed pellets. Mine mostly got bloodworms, blackworms, brine shrimp, krill, chopped up earthworms, pinhead crickets, fruit flies, etc. Are you offering foods besides pellets? Even if the frogs will eat them, pellets alone aren't the best diet. Try other foods and see if she's more interested . Pellets can be hard for some animals to eat.

I personally would keep the smaller frog separate so you can see how much she's eating. Once she's grown a bit, put her back in the main tank. Like I said, a breeding net can work for this .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I've raised small African dwarf frogs before but I don't typically feed pellets. Mine mostly got bloodworms, blackworms, brine shrimp, krill, chopped up earthworms, pinhead crickets, fruit flies, etc. Are you offering foods besides pellets? Even if the frogs will eat them, pellets alone aren't the best diet. Try other foods and see if she's more interested . Pellets can be hard for some animals to eat.

I personally would keep the smaller frog separate so you can see how much she's eating. Once she's grown a bit, put her back in the main tank. Like I said, a breeding net can work for this .
I know Siriya refuses the chopped up earth worms & crickets and I know Macey won't take chopped up earth worms either (how small would you chop them?) because I could try again with the red wigglers I feed my ACF's? With the brine shrimp how do I feed so they dont scatter everywhere and just die in the tank? They are so small and so quick? Any help would be great. I'd love to provide a more varied diet my babies are just so picky! Really any tips would be great! I'm really open to trying anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Were the crickets pinheads? They should be, as the name suggests, as small as a pinhead.

The earthworms should be chopped up into very, very small pieces. African dwarf frogs like tiny foods so you always want to feed them small things.

The brine shrimp can be target fed using a turkey baster (and you could always feed frozen ones, just do the same thing).

But really, try blackworms. They're gross to look at but amphibians go NUTS for them.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

How do I keep blackworms? I'd love to try!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudorocknroll View Post
How do I keep blackworms? I'd love to try!
I keep mine in a dish with water just deep enough to keep them moist but not enough that they can swim around (they'll drown or try to escape). I rinse the mass (they kinda clump together) with chilled de-chlorinated water every day (every other day would probably suffice). Treating the water is absolutely necessary, I killed a batch once because I forgot--they must be sensitive to chlorine.

Keep the container in the refrigerator. I tried keeping mine at room temperature once and they had short lifespans (plus some kept trying to escape).

I try not to keep a batch longer than a week or two since after a while they start dying off (and they also lose a lot of body weight) and one or two dying can foul the whole container. But since most aquatic animals love them (frogs, fish, newts, turtles, etc.), it's easy to go through a ton of worms.

~Stephanie

Tags
adf, eating help, food hoarding