Dwarf Frog Acting Differently After Injury - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dwarf Frog Acting Differently After Injury

I woke up yesterday morning to a horrifying sight - one of my ADF's had tried to eat an otocinclus that she shared her tank with and it had gotten wedged in her mouth! I wasn't sure what else to do, so I pulled the now-dead fish out of her mouth, taking as much care as I could not to hurt her. Her mouth was visibly bleeding, she looked bloated, and she was floating at the top of the tank with her mouth open. I was certain I was going to lose her, so I moved her into a small hospital tank with clean water, mostly so she wouldn't die in the tank with the other frog.

I checked on her later, and she looked 110% better! She wasn't bloated any more, she no longer appeared to be bleeding, and she seemed to be closing her mouth just fine. I decided to leave her isolated for the night, and she looked great this morning.

Now she's back in the tank with the other frog, and all seems to be okay, but I'm a bit concerned. Her behavior is different from what it was before the incident. She used to be the more active of the two frogs. When I changed the water or cleaned the tank, she'd float at the top with her head out of the water like she was curious as to what I was doing to her home. :p

Now, however, she doesn't move as much, and she spends a lot of time hiding in the little cave, something she used to have little interest in. She's staying still for long periods of time. Sometimes I'm afraid she won't come up for air when she needs to, but she's been doing that just fine. It's not really like she's weak or anything, she's just a lot less active. I'm having trouble getting her to eat, too.

Her eyes aren't cloudy, I'm seeing no signs of fungus or redleg, she doesn't look like anything is wrong with her beyond her injury (the signs of which are now basically gone) - her behavior isn't even that abnormal for a frog, from what I've read. It's just abnormal for her. She's not eating - is it possible that the damage to her jaw would make it hard for her to eat? (I'm feeding pellets right now, but I'm thinking about going out and getting brine shrimp or something to see if that will work any better. I'm leery of the risk of disease with bloodworms.) I'm a bit worried about infection, too - the wound as far as I can tell was in her mouth, and if it does get infected I don't know if there's anything I can do. Does anyone have an opinion on all this?

(The otocinclus was a stupid idea on my part - we'd gone to the pet store to buy one of those tank-cleaning snails and the lady there insisted that it would do the same job. I really didn't do my homework there, and I regret ever buying it. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe she is just really worn out, maybe it will be more active tomorrow, other than that i can't really help you never had one.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
is a little "special"

It sounds like she is just in pain to me.
She is probably isolating herself because she doesnt want to draw any attention to herself while she is weak... In the wild, disabled froggy in pain out in the open = lunch, so thats what she is trying to avoid (she doesnt know that there are no predators in your tank). My fish always hide when they dont feel well, and she probably doesnt feel the best. Just make sure that she keeps eating, and she should come around

As far as infection, you can raise the temp of your tank to help prevent it. You need to be really careful if you give her meds, because frogs absorb everything through their skin.
I dont remember if you can use salt or not with frogs... but if you can if would help. (research it first)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Hello Earthling

As the others said it sound like she is worn out or in pain.

As Jess said a lot of animal will hide the fact that they are in pain for sick because showing signs of such will make them vulnerable.

Just keep an eye on her. If you think she is having trouble swimming up to the top for air put her in a shallower bowl or tank (plastic tubs also work).

You have to be super careful if you choose to use any medication as amphibians are EXTREMELY sensitive.

Also salt it not safe to use with frogs.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks, everyone.

Pickle ate some today! I went out and bought some brine shrimp today and fed it to the frogs through a dropper. I think it's working a lot better than the pellets, although they seem to think that the dropper is their food. haha. I feel a lot better now that I've gotten her to eat!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
is a little "special"

Thats great!
BTW, those pellets really arent very good for them. Frozen (not freeze dried) bloodworms and those brine shrimp are great for them

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
african dwarf frog, behavior, injury