FBT, generla questions and advice!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

FBT, generla questions and advice!!!

So I have four FBt's 1 has been with me for over a year, 2 have been with me for just under a year, and one is brand new and young. I recently changed my tank and I want some suggestion on how to maximize their living space. Well I use to house my FBTs in a 20 gal fish tank. That didnt work at all, i Lost like 3 FBt's due to escapes. i came across the perfect habitat for them while at petsmart it was only 60 buck and i love it, its all plastic making it lighter, its mostly clear to see the frogs, its top is a snap on so they dont escape anymore, and the top is made of plactic on the rim and the rest is a screen make for excellent vetilation. I have included a stock photo of it. However my tank is as described; I have about 3-4 inches of treated water(like 2 drops every change) a reptile filter in the back left corner (which is ideal as it can filter water that is only 2 inches high!) i have about maybe 40 small smooth black round rocks on the bottem, i removed my pepples when i realized a potential for choking or worse. I had a large briged that i broke in half. the longer half is along the left side slightly slanted highest point resting against the filter and the lowest easing into the water. the other bride is on the far right side leading to the top where they have dry land. i have 2 of these fake plastic peddles that the frogs can float on and still be in water. one is on the bottom one is on top kinda acting as a mini water bowl. i have a fake plastic tree stump that has a large opening that provides them a large space to hide together on dry land. I made a rain simulator has well that i try and use fr about 15 minutes b4 bed time. at first my frogs were much mor eactive but now im getting a lil nervous watching them, one of them is slightly bloated(but hes always been fat) and i saw him coughing or what looked like dry heeving...... i just hope he was shedding. and my fatty keeps going behind the filter which is against the wall of the tank and i get scared hes gonna die from not being able to breathe or being smothered....... any suggestions on making hteir living area better? i was htinking fake plants and more rocks, and maybe layering their dry area with reptile dirt or something, instead of unatural plastic ya kno? ne help or comments would be great! thanks for reading this long A$$ thread! I LOVE MY FBT"S!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hab.jpg (23.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

here are pictures of my frogs in their old tank.

They r the best!~!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wehto.jpg (22.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg jr.jpeg (42.2 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok i got pictures of my new tank

the only difference is the blue pebbles have been removed and replaced with smooth larger round river like back rocks. but like they only had 40 for sale at the time so im waiting to buy more. one of the pictures is a front veiw and the other is a view when u r looking down into the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg topoftank.jpeg (38.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg tank1.jpeg (37.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would get a sample of water from the tank tested. When you changed them over to a new tank and changed your substrate, you probably lost a lot of (if not all) of your beneficial bacteria. That can cause ammonia spikes which may explain the behavior. If that's the case, just do daily water changes to keep it down.

Just an idea but I figured I'd throw it out there .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.