Feeding my frogs is getting impossible. I really need some help! :/ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Feeding my frogs is getting impossible. I really need some help! :/

We have NO problem what-so-ever with our African Dwarf Frogs- they love pellets, blood worms, etc and before now we have never had a problem with our African Clawed Frogs. Recently, out of nowhere our African Clawed Frogs have regressed... they are incredibly skiddish & they don't come up to my husbands hand anymore...they want the worm to be dropped for them- they never used to be like that before. Nothin' has changed in their lives- still loved as always.

Why out of no-where are my frogs skiddish & hard to feed? This is super important! Any ideas of what this could be or what caused this? This is truly a complete behavior change, but we still treat them so well like we always have. Do you think they are being defiant (we were thinking maybe their 20 G tank was getting too small for them because they are now 1 yr old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Are they still eating once you drop the food?

Are you sure no changes at all? No change in temperature, amount of daylight, anything like that? I know we've been having some really cold temperatures here lately so I've been having more trouble maintaining a constant temperature in my tank.

Was the change sudden or did it progress over time?

Did you change their tank around at all? Do they have enough areas to hide and feel comfortable? Could anything negative have happened while they where being hand fed? Like they accidentally got hurt or startled, something that could have made them nervous about going near your hands?

I would just continue trying to feed them by hand if that's how you like to do it and hopefully soon they will get back into the swing of things. Maybe upgrade the tank if you where planning on it anyways, more space never hurts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

no changes :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Are they still eating once you drop the food?

Are you sure no changes at all? No change in temperature, amount of daylight, anything like that? I know we've been having some really cold temperatures here lately so I've been having more trouble maintaining a constant temperature in my tank.

Was the change sudden or did it progress over time?

Did you change their tank around at all? Do they have enough areas to hide and feel comfortable? Could anything negative have happened while they where being hand fed? Like they accidentally got hurt or startled, something that could have made them nervous about going near your hands?

I would just continue trying to feed them by hand if that's how you like to do it and hopefully soon they will get back into the swing of things. Maybe upgrade the tank if you where planning on it anyways, more space never hurts.

I've gone through it many, many times in my head- there have been NO changes. We have such a routine with them- we love it! Further more, they have so many amazing places to hide. We decorated the tank perfectly...because we left them room to swim AND hide, but didn't over do it.

I'm worried about this :/ I wish I knew what it meant. Now they will eat one or two, but sometimes it's hard to get even to two. Usually we feed 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Skittishness can be a sign of water quality problems. I would test your water just in case. What temperature is the tank?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I would really double check stuff like water quality and temperature.

Like I said with the cold we've been having my tank temps dropped a bit lower than normal. My two female ACF's are usually such pigs, but with the colder water they weren't as interested in eating. Now that I've got my temperatures situated again they went back to eating normally.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Yeah I would really double check stuff like water quality and temperature.

Like I said with the cold we've been having my tank temps dropped a bit lower than normal. My two female ACF's are usually such pigs, but with the colder water they weren't as interested in eating. Now that I've got my temperatures situated again they went back to eating normally.

That is great advice! I will check tonight for SURE. What is officially too cold? We keep it around 76 degrees. What is the perfect temperature for my 2 ACF'S? I want to make it happen asap.

P.S. Do any of you know what the perfect temp. for African Dwarf Frogs is? I get them confused! I just want 4 incredibly comfy/happy frogs!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

African Clawed Frogs are subtropical but might slow down if the water drops below 70.

African Dwarf Frogs, on the other hand, need warmer temperatures. Mid to high 70's is necessary and I wouldn't go any lower than 75, personally.

Basically, they both need similar temperatures but the ACFs tolerate cold water better than ADFs (though neither species is going to enjoy temperatures in the 60's and it can slow them down).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
African Clawed Frogs are subtropical but might slow down if the water drops below 70.

African Dwarf Frogs, on the other hand, need warmer temperatures. Mid to high 70's is necessary and I wouldn't go any lower than 75, personally.

Basically, they both need similar temperatures but the ACFs tolerate cold water better than ADFs (though neither species is going to enjoy temperatures in the 60's and it can slow them down).
I just went to double check the water and it's 73.6...that should be right on target right?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That should be fine, yeah.

Were you able to test your other water parameters yet? I wonder if something is off.

~Stephanie

Tags
acf, adf, behavior change, feeding problems