Fire belly toad problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Fire belly toad problem

I have three FBT's in a 15 gallon tank. Have had them for about a year now. I just noticed that one of the toads seems to be having a problem on his little face. The skin on his muzzle if you will, has changed from the regular green/black to a slimy clear color. Is there anything I can do to help him? I highly doubt we have any vets in this area that deal with amphibians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Curmudgeon

Not being able to see it, I'd hazard a guess that it's a fungus. I'd at least check and see if any of the vets would be willing to see him.

I've owned a couple of tree frogs and salamanders, but have never had a problem like this.

Ravnos might be better suited to answer.

But I'd start checking on vets just in case..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
Ravnos might be better suited to answer.

Who is Ravnos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

he might just be shedding his skin, my toad ( well, he passed away last week) but he used to get kind of white when he was about to shed, but it only happened once so it might be more of a problem than that. sorry I couldn't helop more. good luck with him!!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Herp Nerd

I'm Ravnos... and without seeing it, I would go with the shedding skin theory as my first guess. Sometimes frogs can have their shed skin stuck on them for a while, and it sort of looks like a gooey slime buildup in a spot. Barring that though, make sure the water and cage is clean. Fungal and bacterial infections can behave the exact same way, causing skin damage. Water quality is almost always to blame for them. Avoid handling. I would probably consider quarantining until I was sure what it was. Better than to risk it spreading to other frogs you may have in the same tank.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
I'm Ravnos... and without seeing it, I would go with the shedding skin theory as my first guess. Sometimes frogs can have their shed skin stuck on them for a while, and it sort of looks like a gooey slime buildup in a spot. Barring that though, make sure the water and cage is clean. Fungal and bacterial infections can behave the exact same way, causing skin damage. Water quality is almost always to blame for them. Avoid handling. I would probably consider quarantining until I was sure what it was. Better than to risk it spreading to other frogs you may have in the same tank.

Rav
Yes I have quarantined him and am giving him some polysporin on his muzzle once a day. Any other ideas of what I could be doing?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Herp Nerd

Personally, I wouldn't put anything on him but clean, fresh water. Amphibians have very porous skin and absorb things into their system very easily. It is hard to say what a medication designed for a human may do. Most amphibians even have natural antibiotics in their skin secretions - though, I am unaware if firebellied toads do. If he spends a lot of time in the water, I'm not sure how effective anything topical would be anyway. Sorry I can't help more, but without seeing it, its so hard to just toss out ideas. About all I can suggest is to keep an eye on him, make sure he's still eating and being normally active. Make sure it isn't spreading or getting any worse.

Vets that know anything about amphibians are few and far between. If you're near a zoo, calling them and asking what vet they use for their reptiles and amphibians might be a good place to start. Or check if there is a herp society in the area.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
tree frog