Food for my African Dwarf Frogs.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Food for my African Dwarf Frogs..

Hi there, I just bought some African Dwarf Frogs from a pet store. The staff there seemed really uneducated about fish in general, so when they sent me home with "Tablets for bottom feeding tropical fish" I was skeptical, and chose to do a bit of research. From what I have read I don't think this is the appropriate food for them, so I need your opinions now, please!
Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
is a little "special"

They most likely wont eat those... Frozen (NOT freeze dried!) bloodworms are the way to go!
If theyre so uneducated, it makes me wonder... are you sure they sold you african dwarf frogs, and not african clawed frogs?? They look exactly the same when theyre babies, but ACF grow to be over 5 inches, will eat smaller frogs, and need at least 10 gallons per frog. Mr Squishy in my siggy is an ACF, but hes not so small no more. Be sure they sold you the right frog, cuz pet store mix them up alot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

They are just babies now, how do I tell the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
is a little "special"

ACF: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/specie...wed_frog_t.jpg
ADF: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Amphibian...curtipesAQ.jpg

ACF tend to be fatter, and have bigger eyes and heads than their little dwarf cousins.
If your frogs albino, its an ACF for sure... ADF cant be albino.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

From the pictures it definitely looks like I have ADFs. They're not as stalky as the ACF in that picture.
I have another question, I bought some brine shrimp eggs to hatch, and I'm wondering if I can just hatch them right in the tank with my fish/frogs? I only have one air pump and it's in that tank!
Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
is a little "special"

No prob! ^^ Thats good to hear. C:
Those are like sea monkeys, right? xD A long time ago I had those, and you just put them in a lil container with saltwater. I dont really think you need an air pump.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You can't hatch the brine shrimp eggs with your frogs because brine shrimp are marine.

Besides brine shrimp and bloodworms, some other foods you can feed are mysis shrimp and krill .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

The Difference!!!

- African Clawed Frogs have kind-of claw-like front "hands". They also tend to have buggier looking eyes than the dwarf frogs. ACF's also have thick thighs.

- African Dwarfs have pointier heads, flatter eyes, and smaller thighs

Also, the front hands of the dwarf frog have webbing between the fingers...while the front hands of the Clawed frog are more pointy-looking.

Tags
african, dwarf, feeding, food, frog