Frog Mystery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Frog Mystery

My sister is a huge frog lover, and she's had her dumpy tree frog, Trevor, for a couple years now. For Christmas my mom got her an African Dwarf frog. He seemed very settled in the little tank she had him in: it had a filter and a screen top. However, a couple days later she couldn't find him in the tank, and eventually noticed him ACROSS THE ROOM, dried up. =(

We though that somehow he'd slipped through a space at the top of the tank, so when she got another one (and named him Albert), we used duct tape to secure it shut. This worked for a month or so, but yesterday she noticed again that he wasn't in the tank. We took out all the decorations to confirm he wasn't in there. We still haven't found him.

Does anyone know how this happened? I don't know a lot about frogs, but African Dwarf frogs are aquatic, and very small. Albert wouldn't have been nearly strong enough to push up the tank cover when it was taped down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P. Kitty, Mercury, Russell, Sierra, May, and Harmony. I'll see you at the rainbow bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is there a part of the hood top that lifts open for feeding? Or a gap where the filter sits?

Had the water been tested recently? African dwarf frogs usually don't try to escape unless something's wrong with the water.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Zoo Keeper

i agree and they are tiny any little gap can be a problem ... I kept mine in a bowl before i knew better and still no escapes ... somethings wrong with the water ... Also dwarfs need friends. And I'd recommend a proper hood They help a lot

How big is the tank? Its recommended 2 gal per frog so a 5 gal would be good for two and I'm setting up a ten for three

Tags
escape, frog