Frogs In New York - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Frogs In New York

Well I'm sure New York has got a whole bunch of frog types! I was catching some the other day with the little boys mentioned below and I've no clue what kind they are.

The little boys next door wanted to keep a couple so we allowed them to live together in the pond in their back yard...although I didn't think it was a good idea. I thought they should go back where they belong, but their parents weren't talking the boys out of it and who was I to tell them no...again? I had convinced them not to keep the first couple...then they caught more behind my back and put them in there. Ahhh well their pond is not far from where we caught them...it's right in the same development so they aren't far from their old home.

Anyways I was wondering what kind of frogs they are! And if they can really survive in the boys pond. It seems a suitable home, but since there's only 2 or 3 frogs in it I'm sure they must be very scared and I really do feel bad about keeping them there!!!

Would it be wrong to keep them there? We wanted them to have babies, but we don't even know if there is even one boy and one girl. I know that it is soooo hard to tell, because on like every frog it's a different way to tell. So really I need to know what kind of frog they are! Is there a list for frogs in new york? I'm not sure if I can get pictures, but I will try if you would like.

Thank You!

Want a pet-sitter?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click on Rachael's Pet-Sitting. Thanks! =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What do they look like? I live in New York, too, so I know most of the species here .

Did it look like this, maybe?

The frog above is an American Bullfrog that I actually photographed today.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No they were much smaller. I don't know if they're just small frogs or what. They were fond in a small pond/stream so I don't think they would get very big. I don't think they are any sort of bullfrog.

However, they are very green. Like a dark green. And they've got little spots/dots all over their back. They have white bellies too. They are really smooth too...well right after they have been in water of corse [sp?]. They don't really have big bumps on them when they are dry either.
I'll try and get some pictures if that didn't help at all. =P

Want a pet-sitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Awesome picture, Sasami! And, yes, pictures always help when you want something identified, plus, we love pictures here! hee hee.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I can likely get some pictures later on today.
Perhaps in a few hours.
If not tomarrow.

Want a pet-sitter?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM

That would be great! I will look forward to them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sounds like they might be Northern Leopard Frogs (Rana pipiens). A picture will definitely help, though .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Sounds like they might be Northern Leopard Frogs (Rana pipiens). A picture will definitely help, though .
It looks a lot like that.
I was googeling and it looks sort of like a green frog.
However, I'll get some pictures later most likely!
I was looking for the little buggers earlier and they weren't in the pond so I think they might have just gone to find something to eat maybe. One of them was probably hiding because the boys and the older sister say that it really never leaves the water and is a good hider.

I'll tell you...that water got mucky after a couple days of putting those frogs in it!

Want a pet-sitter?