Getting a Frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Getting a Frog

I want to get a frog (maybe). I went to the aquarium and fell in love. I've held a frog before and that was it. Of course I'll research.

My question is I don't have that much space, so whats the smallest habitat and what kind of frog will fit in that habitat? By smalled I'm really saying no less then a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, what kind of frog do you want? An aquatic frog? A treefrog?

Some firebelly toads would be great...they are hardy, colorful, and active .

Some other small, pretty easy frogs are african dwarf frogs, african clawed frogs, green treefrogs, and White's treefrogs. Pacman frogs get a little larger but are still happy in a 10-gallon...I like them a lot .

Are you only interested in frogs or do you like toads, too? A very easy, friendly toad is the American Toad. I love those guys.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Herp Nerd

There are literally hundreds of kinds of frogs to choose from, many make decent captives... I think you're gonna have to narrow down your desires a bit more.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Thanks for the info. I know I was kind of vague. I just wanted to see what types of frogs could be housed in a 10 gallon. I'm still thinking about it. It's just an idea that I have. I'll have to look around and see what I like. I'd rather have one that's easy to handle. I'm not ruling out toads either.

Thanks!!

*Missy*
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

I really like pacman and tomato frogs!They are cute.

I had African dwarf frogs and African clawed frogs.I really like the African clawed frogs,but they are huge gluttons and I lost one to him eating a rock and choking... If they can fit it into their mouth,they will.However both of these frogs are aquatic,so you can't really handle them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I have 1 african dwarf frog,named Kaysana.I'll be getting more,my other died due to a filter accident
Aquatic frog though,so can't be handled.Cute though,so tiny

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Herp Nerd

Pretty much all amphibians are gluttons, and will eat almost anything that happens to find its way into their mouth. It usually isn't a problem, but limiting problem things in their environment is important. Especially with frogs like Pyxie Frogs or Horned Frogs, which are known to try and stuff just about anything into their mouths - including human fingers. And they are large enough to make even simple cage decorations a possible hazard.

Amphibians in general should handled as little as possible. Their skin is very porous and even something as simple as the oils in your hands, or soap residue, can potentially be harmful to them. Some species are more tolerant than others, but it's still something to always keep in mind with frogs.

For a first time frog owner, I'd look into a White's Tree Frog. They are hardy, tolerant of a wide variety of conditions so are "forgiving" if you make some minor mistakes in their care. They are commonly available captive bred, since Australia doesn't allow their export (as many other species are wild caught). Overall they are relatively easy to care for. They're one of the more personable species, but I am rather partial to tree frogs anyway, and if you get a male, you may even get some loud WOMP WOMP WOMPing out of him in the evenings. At one point I had a Pyxie Frog, Grey Tree Frogs, Green Tree Frogs, Barking Tree Frogs, and a White's Tree Frog, and they would all call every night. It was deafening in here.

Last edited by Ravnos; 01-12-2007 at 11:27 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww I want one...he looks so happy! lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM
RAT ADDICT

I want a whites tree frog! I seen them in one of the pet stores and they are rather cute!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

White's treefrogs are great . I've never kept one but when I have the space I will.

The green treefrogs are pretty hardy, too.

I'm a fan of the firebelly toads because they are so colorful and active.

Of course I'm also partial to Marine Toads, hehe . They are easy to care for but need a decent-sized tank and eat a lot. Very tolerant of handling, too, although I don't suggest picking them up all the time.

I like American Toads though I've never seen them in the petstores here...I caught mine outside. She'd eat from my hands and was fine with handling...one of the best amphibians I've ever had. I really loved her.

Pacman Frogs are cool but not very active. Then again, most toads aren't. Actually, frogs in general are kind of lazy .

I could ramble on and on about frogs and toads, haha.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Herp Nerd

Toads have a dual reason not to handle them often. Their toxic skin secretions. Marine toads are known to be especially toxic. Bufotoxin, as it is called, is a hallucinogen.

Feeding from your hand is alright for toads and most frogs, but definitely not something you want to do with a horned frog or pyxie frog. They have large, sharp projections in the back of their mouths which can do a serious amount of damage if they got a hold of your finger.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Toads have a dual reason not to handle them often. Their toxic skin secretions. Marine toads are known to be especially toxic. Bufotoxin, as it is called, is a hallucinogen.

Feeding from your hand is alright for toads and most frogs, but definitely not something you want to do with a horned frog or pyxie frog. They have large, sharp projections in the back of their mouths which can do a serious amount of damage if they got a hold of your finger.
Yeah, I know that. But toads don't really seem to secrete the poison unless they feel really threatened. I've had several toads and never had any problems . Mine have been very tame although I don't handle them much more then I have to.

And yeah, I would never hand-feed a horned frog, haha.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Thanks for the info. Like I said it was just an idea I have and it probably won't happen for a year or two. I have too many mice right now to take care of.

*Missy*
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Sasami,....may I borrow your toad? I want to see something....

j/k j/k

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hmm. that might be the next pet i get.. heh its adoreable.

[/CENTER]

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, african clawed frogs, african dwarf, african dwarf frog, captive bred, clawed frog, clawed frogs, dwarf frogs, pet store, pet stores, tree frog