Help!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Help!!!!

I would like to get a frog and want to know what kind? I would like one that doesn't eat crickets (because of the jumping )but is at least 1/2 on land, or fully. If you know of one please let me know and could you tell me what to get, food, and how to care for it. Thankyou sooooo much!!!!

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie
ma calico/tiger,tabby- Peaches
crayfish- raised from birth but had to give the rest away. Had 4 but they have pasted away =[
2 goldfish - love them =]

Hopefully more cuties in the future!
LoL's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 06:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

Maybe you should do some research on different species of frogs...

Pacman frogs are a good species, easy to look after...but they eat crickets, among other things.I want one of these frogs sometime in the future!I seen one in person for the first time the other day and it was such a big,fat blob of cute!
http://www.petinfo4u.com/pacman.htm

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/doctor/first.html
Thats another site with links to other frog species.Hope they are a little bit of a help.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

aw thanks they're fat i love em, r they hardly it's my first frog but i'm good at learnin fast.

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie
crayfish- raised from birth but had to give the rest away. Had 4 but they have pasted away =[

LoL's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Wink

i would also like to recommend that you look into a white's dumpy tree frog...very very cute and fun to have

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

the thing is , is that i need an easy one r they easy???? I also live in new york n it's humid and cold in winter and hot! in the summer?

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie

LoL's
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Herp Nerd

If you can't deal with crickets, I would honestly suggest finding another kind of pet. Almost all amphibians are insectivorous, and the most easily available insect species to feed them happens to be crickets. Some species will also eat mealworms (which aren't much better than crickets as far as the icky-bug factor), and larger ones like horned frogs or pyxie frogs need rodents - also not for the squeamish. You might want to consider an African Clawed Frog, though they are entirely aquatic, they can be fed a pellet food.

If you can get past the crickets though, White's Tree Frogs make great pets. Horned Frogs are a little more difficult, but are cool pets too. There are many species of US native frogs, like Barking Frogs and Green Tree Frogs which also make great pets... but again, all eat insects.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i can do crickets it's just my mom don't want them in the house, :/ lol... But i was thinking of a frog that can have earthworms, waxworms, and mealworms and as diet... can white tree frogs do that???? I think I'm gonna go with one of those

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie

LoL's
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Herp Nerd

Most frogs rely on the movement of prey items to interest them in eating, earthworms and mealworms should work just fine, but wax worms don't normally move around all that much, it might take a frog a bit to learn that they are edible. I sometimes give them to my White's, but then he'll eat just about anything.

Small mealworms have a large amount of chitin, and aren't really all that nutritious. Giant mealworms are better in that respect, but you have to be careful they don't bite or injure your frog, as they can bite and amphibian skin is particularily sensitive. Earthworms just need to have any dirt/soil cleaned off of them so your frog doesn't end up eating dirt. Really though, gutloaded crickets are much easier and probably better all around.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse
the thing is , is that i need an easy one r they easy???? I also live in new york n it's humid and cold in winter and hot! in the summer?
i live in montana and they are common pets and work quite well. and the humidity would be very good as they are an amphib. and love humidity. they are pretty low maintainance and very cute

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

kool what's the difference between a white's tree frog, and a white's dumpy tree frog?

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie

LoL's
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Oily Chickenspew

there is no difference.... please go here and you can read about them http://www.allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/whites.html there is all the basics there and then you will have a better idea of what you would be getting

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Sounds to me like you should do some actuall research before you even think about getting a frog. You shouldn't get an animal because someone else says they like it or that it makes a good pet. You need to find what it right for you. Also since you are against feeding crickets, I wouldn't get a frog/lizard at all. Why do you want one in the first place? You know it cost alot for initial setup of an amphibian. You need a very tall tank for a whites dumpy. Also did you know they can live at least 15 years? Thats a big commitment. I hope you think about it before you decide.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
Sounds to me like you should do some actuall research before you even think about getting a frog. You shouldn't get an animal because someone else says they like it or that it makes a good pet. You need to find what it right for you. Also since you are against feeding crickets, I wouldn't get a frog/lizard at all. Why do you want one in the first place? You know it cost alot for initial setup of an amphibian. You need a very tall tank for a whites dumpy. Also did you know they can live at least 15 years? Thats a big commitment. I hope you think about it before you decide.
I actually have been doing research for the past 2 days for about 4 hours each day.
~I have found that a good size tank for the white's tree frog is about a 10 gallon tank.
~IN the wild they live somewhat of a short life but in captivity they can live up to 15 years. Some even to 20.
~They will eat anything moving and anything that fits in their mouth which includes worms and aren't very picky.
~They are not that active but can easily climb.
~They don't like too much handleing but like some.
~They are a night frog and like humid warm enviornments ( not under 70degrees ) they need water in the habitat but if they are young not too much ( not over the head ) because they can drown.
~The water needs to sit out for at least 48 hours before a put it in the tank and i have to change the water every 2 days.
~I'm not against crickets but would prefer not to use them because my mom doesn't want some gettting around the house. We have enough in the summer lol.
I love animals and haven't had a frog and think they are just soooooo cute! When I was littler I would go to see my family in Maine and catch Northeren Frogs but would never think of keeping a wild born one. Those are cute too. I would watch them for a day then set them free.
I saw the picture of the white's tree frog and loved it. ( it was so fat / most seem to be )
And I'm not just getting it because they said i should i just need some ideas I know they can be very hard to take care of and i need like a begginers frog I would really love not to kill it!!!! One time my sister didn't see a frog and steped on it and killed it... she only felt bad for like 2 days I would be scared for life!!!!!! I killed a wasp that was aready hurt because it stung my dog and i feel bad lol my dad makes fun of me about that one. ( i really cryed )
~ Well just thought I'd let you know so you didn't think I was just getting a frog for the fun of it

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie

LoL's
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Well, Im glad you did research. Most of your information is good, except about the tank. Since they like to climb you shoudl get a taller tank, like a 29 gallon high. At least if you feel the need to get only a 10 gallon, get one that goes up not out.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok thankyou

My babies
ma kitten- Bella
ma dachshund- Rosie

LoL's

Tags
african clawed, african clawed frog, clawed frog, crested gecko, tree frog