HELP! Dwarf frog care - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

HELP! Dwarf frog care

I desperatly need help and information. Here is my story:
I had 2 dwarf frogs, I decided to get them a bigger tank and a buddy. I got help from the pet store, got a 1 gallon tank, had my H20 tested, and everything. Both frogs were okay for the first day, but frog #1 suddenly died two days ago. All I have left is frog 3, named Lunch (long story behind the name)
Lunch was very happy and then I noticed the tank water went down to 68 degrees. I went out and got a small heater and within 5 hours the temp was 76. My mom got scared about the sharp increase in temp. and took the heater out. The frog is now huddled under a rock not moving unless i hit the tank pretty hard. Suddenly there are these fluffy almost balls of fuzz floating all over the tank that were not there 3 hours ago. What is going on? I am willing myself not to be a serial frog killer. I desperatly need help as to care for these animals. Also what do I do about the heat? Was it too quick a rise in temp?

How is it that I can keep a cat and an elderly dog healthy and not be able to care for a frog????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

sadly, reptiles and amphibians are much more delicate that a cat or dog

It is hard to heat such a small tank, i hope you can get a bigger one. you need to cycle your water there are threads about how to do that and i think a sticky... i'm no help there, someone else will be able to help more.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

update

Ok so Lunch is moving around and swimming, but what are those little balls of fuzz? She is shedding, but this is something else. I need tips on how to care for her and keep her healthy. I took the heater out and she is doing fine, but what about when the water hits 68 again? I don't want to shock her with the temperature change by reheating it, but at the same time, the tank is too cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

As Kendalle said such a small tank is hard to heat up properly. Heaters are usually made for bigger tanks. You might want to think about getting a bigger tank. It doesn't need to be huge but just big enough for a small heater to work properly. Anothr option is to keep the room temperature quite high so the water would stay at the right temperature without the need of a jeater (but again heating a room will be much more expensive than just getting a bigger tank). That's really al I can think of at the moment. Lots of luck!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM
is a little "special"

First off, you NEED a bigger tank! Its impossible to keep stable water conditions and temperature in a tank that tiny... Thats probably why your 1st frog died too- The bare minimum for those frogs is one per gallon, and your tank was probably on bio-overload.
A 5 1/2 gallon will work well for your frog and a few friends. Cycle your tank, put in your heater, and I assure you your frog will be much happier. ^^
As for fuzzy balls... I honestly dont know. My ACF eats his skin when he sheds, but ADF dont have such extreme appetites, so I dont know what he would do...
The only thing I can think of is that fish sometimes get a wierd film around them when they die that can come off and float around, but that probably doesnt help! XD

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Hello Earthling

First off get a bigger tank, 1 gallon of water is way to unstable and easily overloaded.Heaters are made for bigger tanks.Get at least a 5 gallon.The bigger the tank the more stable it is.

The white fuzz sounds like a fungal infection, water changes and a bigger cycled tank.

Tags
african dwarf frog