Help11 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Help11

I NEED HELP!! Two of my frogs mated, laid about a hundred eggs and one tadpole hatched. That was about 1 1/2 months ago. I now have a very tiny albino frog. It was fine this morning but when I came home, it was on the bottom of the tank upside down and not moving. I thought she was dead, but I got her into a clear plastic cup and she started to move. I put her into a smaller tank with clean water and a few grains of food. What else if anything can I do to save this precious baby? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of frog is she? An African Clawed Frog, maybe?

What is her set-up like? Aquarium size, temperature, filtration, water change schedule, diet, etc. Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? If so, what were your readings?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She was in a 2 gallon tank. All my frogs are in 2 gallon tanks. THere is no filter or any mechanics. She is an albino ACF produced by two of my other ACFs. I have put her into a two cup tank with clean conditioned water. She had moved a little. I have been feeding her food I got from grow a frog (when she was a tadpole) and have been feeding her the same pellets I feed my big adult frogs but made them into much smaller pieces. She is only about 1/2 inch long.

Last edited by babaleuska; 09-15-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional sentence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Resident Zoologist

How in heck do you fit two mature clawed frogs in a two gallon tank? They must be almost unable to move....

8-10 gallons per frog is a basal volume, really.

G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Aquarist since 1971
Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta (Est. 1994)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Sounds like poisoning, probably from ammonia (though I suppose nitrite is a possibility depending on your water change schedule, substrate, etc.). How often do you normally change the water?

ACFs need a LOT more space than a 2 gallon, they grow fairly large and are messy. She needs at least a 5-gallon right now as a baby but will need a 10-gallon or even a 20-gallon as an adult. The tank needs to be filtered and regularly cleaned.

Good luck, I hope she pulls through.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have never had a problem with the frogs. Four of the adults are about 6 years old. The 4 of them live in 2-2 1/2 gallon tanks alone and the two that mated are about 3 years old live in a tank together. I change their water about once a week. Is there anything else I should do besides putting her in clean water? I have her in a very small container now because she was having trouble swimming and was turning over.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They're hardy animals. You could keep a dog in a crate it's whole life and it'd probably live if it was fed/given water and the crate was cleaned occasionally. But would that be ideal and would the dog be "healthy"? Most people would say no.

Besides, these are animals that often live 10+ years and can make it to 20. 6 isn't an accomplishment by any means.

How big are the frogs?

She needs a larger environment and clean, filtered water. That's it, there's not much else you can do but hope she's strong enough to recover.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well, I guess it's time to go to the aquarium and get more room for the frogs.
The adult frogs are all between 3 to 4 inches long in the body, not counting the legs. I don't have the kind of room needed for many bigger tanks. How many frogs can be put into a tank together and what size tank is best? I want to do what is best for the frogs. I have had all of them since they were very little and care a lot about them and would want them to be healthy and comfortable. I do have two Huskies and your example of keeping the dogs in their crates all the time makes me think I am not doing what I can for my frogs. They are pets too, after all.

Last edited by babaleuska; 09-15-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: additinal sentence
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Whoa yeah you are going to need to give them a much bigger tank than 2 gallons for multiple frogs. 10 - 20 gallons per each frog is more along the lines of what they should have. I'm honestly shocked that you where able to fit multiple frogs in just a 2 gallon tank.

For the group of 4 - could you fit a 40 or 50 gallon? That'd be about 10 gallons per frog. I'd personally probably go even bigger but you said you don't have a lot of space. For the other two, maybe a 20 gallon? Again I'd personally go bigger if the space was available. Look into filters and heaters (if your house gets cold) for each tank too, if you really want to work towards giving them an optimal environment.

You can keep frogs of similar size in the same tank as long as it's big enough. If you put males and females together than you're going to get eggs, and potentially lots of them pretty often once you improve your water conditions. So either separate the sexes or be prepared to have to deal with them laying eggs all over the tank.

The cool thing about larger tanks is they are really fun to decorate. Or at least I think so. These frogs love having areas where they can hid and hang out, things like clay flower pots laid on their sides or you could buy other types of decorations. Hardy live plants or silk fake plants look nice as well and the frogs seem to enjoy them.

Good luck! I hope the little on makes it.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Actually, only the two frogs that mated are in the same tank. The others are all in separate tanks of their own. That's why I was wondering if it was alright to put them together now. I never really knew how much room the frogs needed. They were from the grow a frog people. We had them in my classroom each year as the "class pet" and at the end of each year the frog came home with me for good. I had my last classroom in 2004 so the age of these frogs is between 6+ and 11+. I do take very good very care of them (at least I thought I did). I don't know if I can fit that big of a tank in my home and also a second one. I understand the need for separating the sexes, but I would swear that the two frogs that mated started out as two females. I do know how to tell the difference and both had the little triangle shaped appendage. Can anyone give me any advise as to filters, heaters, etc? I don't want to go into the aquarium and be taken advantage of because I really have no idea what to look for. Price is going to be a consideration as well, because I am now on a fixed income with very little, sometimes no money left over. I do want to keep my pets happy though. They are all rescues, the dogs, the cat and I guess even the frogs in a way. Thank you all for your help and understanding here. The baby has not moved for a while, but I'm still hoping.

Tags
acf's, sick baby frog