How many Firebellied Toads in a 5.5 Gallon - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

How many Firebellied Toads in a 5.5 Gallon

I have one firebelly living in a 5.5 Gallon tank with 2/3 water, 1/3 land and I'm wondering if its too small for a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Have you checked with your petstore? I have 4 firebellied toads in a 10 gallon tank and they are doing great. Lots of room, they have plants, a couple of little ponds and a heat lamp. Can you send a picture of your setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Newborn Pup

Two is fine in a 5.5. I actually had two in a 5 for oh two years I think and they did great.

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

wow I had no idea you could keep that many in a 5 gallon I have one at my house and I have been looking for something to occupy the space just so the tank is doing nothing but lay around. I might look into getting some Fire Bellies now. Since I have been wanting to look into getting some some time soon anyway.
What kind of environment should I get up for the lil guys inside the tank?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Newborn Pup

You can do lots of things. You need some water for them no matter what. You can get something that holds a big pool of water and just set that in there with lots of gravel. I did that for a while but you need to clean it up more.

At one point I just filled the tank it self with water and stuck more gravel on one side. That is a little hard to clean and you have to do it a lot.

Right now I have a tank full of water with a submissable water filter. The water in the tank is half full with a thick layer of gravel on the bottom. I tossed in a few plants, like two and got a giant rock that sticks out of the water for them to sit on. I also have this giant plat form thing that has suction cups on it. That sticks above the water and I put there food there. I think its about four or five inches long. I would need to take pictures for you.

Here is a link to the plat form thing:
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=3094
I think mines smaller than the one in that picture but its just to give you an idea.

And the filter
But that is really only if you want to do a complex one. I will have to say though the complex cleaning is easier. I just use a suction tube meant for fish tanks. It cleans out all the gunk and nasty water over time. Than I put fresh water in! If you have questions let me know.

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the advise that sound like great info to start off on...I will probably try to set up the tank for them before I get the lil guys. So I will probably try to get started on things ASAP. But if I have any questions I will make sure to ask em to ya!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Playful Pup

Two in a 5.5 is okay? Really? I've heard that its 10g for the first two and 5g extra for each additional one. I had my two in a 6 g. and then moved them to a 10 and they seem happier.. They swim all over the place and are more active. I figured they felt cramped, and now they have more water as well as more land so theyre not all in each others faces all the time.

Critters that own me:
Fenris, Ichi, Koda, Cash [fert-faces]
Dank & Kush [ fire bellied toads ]
Moto [ RES turtle ]
Gracie [parotlett]
Coral & Marlin [clownfishhhhes]
Maggie & Matylda [black & white scotties ]
And one weird boyfriend <3