I'm moving! How do I move my jus cycled tank and grown frogs?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question I'm moving! How do I move my jus cycled tank and grown frogs?!

The tank I have is reallllly heavy as it is- with water it's another story! The tank has just finished being cycled, though (move was NOT planned). If I pour out all of the water and just carry my ACF's in a different container filled with their old water won't I have to completely RE-START the tank when I get to the new location? I'd have nowhere to put the frogs while their tank recycled? I don't want to put them through ammonia spikes, either!!

Please help?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just move the tank water in buckets or water jugs . Keep the substrate and filter cartridge, too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM
is a little "special"

How long is the drive to your new house (assuming your not going to fly the frogs)? If its just a few hours, you can get gallon ziplock bags to put them in for the traveling... Make sure to double bag them in case one of the bags leaks, and open up the bag frequently to make sure they have enough oxygen. Take some empty milk jugs, and just fill them with as much water from your old tank as you can. When you get to your new house, you can set up your fish tank, and put your frogs in a temporary home. When I move my ACF to new tanks and stuff, I just set him up in a 2-3 gallon fish bowl for a few days while I wait for his new tank to cycle. Once, I used a 7-ish gallon garbage can (washed out, of course!) to keep some fish in while I was setting up their new tank. It worked out pretty well. Buying some Cycle to put in your tank helps speed up the process too, and make sure to put what ever substrate you use in a bag too, so it will still be "alive" to help cycle the new tank.
Good luck with them! Hope I helped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

I moved with my two ACF's - a 4 hour trip. I filled up a bunch of plastic juice containers and soda bottles (rinsed out first) with their tank water when I emptied the tank. The sub-straight and tank decorations and filter I left in the tank while I moved it, then I just set it all up and put the water back in when we got to the new place.

For the frogs themselves, I kept them in a plastic 5 gallon tank half filled with water during the trip. I put them right back in their tank after I set it back up.

Tags
acf, ammonia, cycle, relocating