Leggy (my frog) died - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy Leggy (my frog) died

i don't know what happened. i just came home today and went to feed him and the betta and he was gone. he was at the bottom of the tank with white fuzz covering him. i have no idea what happened. he was totally fine up until then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

If he was one of those dwarf aquatic frogs that were really popular a few years ago -- they don't always last very long without company, my aunt found. What were you feeding him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

he was an african dwarf frog. i asked the lady at the petstore if i should get more than one but she said 'no' since i have only a 5 gallon tank.

he was with 1 betta.

he was fed little pellets called Tadpole.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Awww, I'm so sorry about it. 8( He was so cute! What happened to the betta, is he alright?

Dimaris

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm sorry to hear about Leggy.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks, guys.

the betta is fine, of course. they never die! lol.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Oh, I mis-read the sentence... I thought that you said that the betta and frog where gone... when what you said was that you went to feed betta and frog... oops!

Dimaris

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

it's ok.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwww i'm so sorry to hear of poor Leggy's death I'm sure it was nothing to do with you as you gave him a great home in your lovely betta tank, it was probably something he had picked up at the fishstore

Going back to the one froggy or two debate in a 5 gallon you could get away with two as they occupy a different space to the betta and they don't usually get that big although it doesn't normally hurt them being alone from the research i have done

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you very much.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry to hear about your frog There's a chance it had something to do with him living with a betta. Bettas tend to be aggressive fish, and it may have picked on him from time to time. Along with that, they add ammonia to the water, and just the presence of the fish stresses out the frog. Though dwarf clawed frogs don't require company to survive, they don't do so well when housed with fish. Could possibly have been the temperatures too, as they're a tropical species.

Hey, it's better than Slimyfeathery, right?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Oh Jane im soo sorry about Leggy

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

So sorry for your loss Jane..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

furry - all of the frogs were housed with fish at the petstore. and my betta had lived with lots of other fish before (about 7 at one time) and they were always fine. and plus i observed my betta and the frog together and they seemed fine. the temp at the petstores was actually colder than my tank.

thanks, guys for the kind words.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Unfortunately, pet stores are one of the worst places to get info on proper care of herps. I've also seen pet stores house chinese fire-bellied newts in with tropical species, mix desert and rainforest species, mislabel countless species, and generally, pet stores just don't know much (or in some even worse cases, don't care) about reptiles and amphibians. The vast majority of dwarf frogs, clawed frogs, and newts sold in pet stores do not live long. This is mostly due to improper housing on the store's part. An estimated 90% of baby green iguanas in pet stores will die in their first year of captivity simply cause they weren't cared for properly.

Hey, it's better than Slimyfeathery, right?

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, clawed frog, clawed frogs, dwarf frogs, pet store, pet stores