Loss in appetite in one frog - not sure what to think yet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Loss in appetite in one frog - not sure what to think yet?

Hello, my star quarter back eater has not been eating well for two days. I tried to feed him the 2nd day because he really didn't eat a thing the previous day. He had been eating very well since day one (Dec. 23rd), he's the smarter of the two and has a very good sight range when it comes to falling food - nothing can get past him! For two days now he's been spitting out the food, he'll lunge and look up at me as if to say "Hey you, over here!" Usually spits
it out right away, occasionally will gum the food for a bit then spit. He kept a very small amount down tonight, but this is not like him at all. He also seems to be hiding more and buries his head in between river rocks which he's never done before - does have other hiding places available, he's always been kind of skiddish but the rock thing is a little different.

* I tried to offer tiny yet visible bits of : frozen krill, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, even tried bloodworms his favorite and pellets, least favorite. Would lunge, taste, and spit.

Another thing I'm noticing is that the female is showing an increase in appetite and seems a little more aggressive when lunging. They're both very friendly, female is very curious and not shy at all. I had to rearrange things a bit today to fit a new heater, had my hand in there moving stuff around as slowly as
possible - both were fine, neither panicked, female was sure it was feeding time.

RECENT CHANGES or THINGS I NOTICED:

On the first night of the hunger strike, the male mounted the female which finally told me which "he/she" was a "he" and a "she". I'm not sure how far that went, I did peep while it was going on but the female seemed so have her legs crossed and closed during most of it, back fins were curling and swaying.
It was sometime afterwards when I tried to feed them and noticed the male not eating.

Later that night I was having some issues with the timer I have for my heater. Since it would probably over heat things if I left it on all night, to make things easier for me I moved them into my bedroom so I could turn the heater on and off every two hours or so - lost a lot of sleep that night. I moved their entire enclosure and tried to be very slow, gentle and careful, my room is pretty different than what they have been exposed to.

Also, in order to help keep the heat in, I placed plastic wrap over about 85%-90% of the top which I wasn't sure about doing =\? There was condensation in the morning, not sure if that is safe?

A big new change was the introduction of a small bunch of Anacharis plant. By the way, does anyone know if this plant has a slight sweet scent to it? There is something sweet smelling, yet kind of plastic-y smell coming from inside my terrarium, I think I'm tracing it back to the plant but not sure, I'm a little
stuffed up at the moment.

During my attempt to feed tonight, I noticed the male would make movements as if he was trying to hack something out from inside, I was really expecting something to come out, did it a few times. Other than the hiding and the not eating, his appearance seems healthy, no injuries or signs of obvious fungus. I have large river rocks on the floor, there should not be anything small enough for it to have swallowed. Does surface to breathe.

I do not have a water test kit so I can't list any water info, other than, they are in about a 2.5 gallon terrarium, still no filter, trying to do 50% water changes about every two days - just did one last night but now can't remember if it was before or after feeding - either way this started the day before the water change. Temp is usually between 70 and 85 - new heater seems to stay at about 75. Water conditioner I'm using is API Tap Water conditioner which doesn't mention ammonia, just chlorine and chloramine.

Sorry about yet another long post! Really need to work on short simple yet straight to the point messages!

~Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of heater do you have? If the heater is causing you to have to monitor it that closely and use plastic wrap, I'd say get a new one. A good aquarium heater maintains the exact temperature you set and should have an automatic shut-off in case of a malfunction. It also should be able to heat the aquarium without you having to resort to plastic wrap. My favorite heaters are the Stealth heaters, they're really reliable. I've had one of mine for at least five years now. I'm not sure if they make one small enough for a 2.5 gallon, though. That's one of the biggest issues with tiny desktop aquariums--it's hard to heat them safely. Improper or constantly changing temperatures could stress out the frogs and cause them not to eat.

My other guess would be that you're experiencing your first ammonia and/or nitrite spikes. It's normal in a cycling tank but harmful to the frogs nonetheless. Water changes will help remove them. A good water conditioner will also help (I'm a fan of Prime but AquaSafe is similar). But the only way you can tell for sure what's going on is to get your water tested. Most pet stores will do it for free if you bring in a water sample .

By the way, does the API Tap Water condition remove/neutralize heavy metals? Frogs can be kinda sensitive to copper so if you have some in your tap water you want to be sure that you're water conditioner is doing something about it .

Oh, and I don't remember what anacharis smells like but you're sure that the plastic-y smell isn't your plastic wrap burning or anything, right?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
"What kind of heater do you have? If the heater is causing you to have to monitor it that closely and use plastic wrap, I'd say get a new one."

"My other guess would be that you're experiencing your first ammonia and/or nitrite spikes. Most pet stores will do it for free if you bring in a water sample ."

"By the way, does the API Tap Water condition remove/neutralize heavy metals? Frogs can be kinda sensitive to copper so if you have some in your tap water you want to be sure that you're water conditioner is doing something about it ."

"Oh, and I don't remember what anacharis smells like but you're sure that the plastic-y smell isn't your plastic wrap burning or anything, right?"

Hi, my old aquarium heater was driving me nuts, easy to monitor during the day but didn't want to leave it on all night. I started losing sleep and my mind over it because I couldn't get my timer to work well with it, so I would have to get up about every 1.5 to 2 hours to monitor the temp. But yes, I bought a new one yesterday and it's great ! Not only is it smaller and stylish, but it does reliably keep the water temp at 75, and turns itself on and off. It's a Tetra brand Submersible Heater and is probably about 6 inches long which works well with my terrarium tank.

I was careful not to get the plastic wrap close to my previous heater, left about a 4 inch wide perimeter around the heater, and so not to completely seal the top to allow air flow. So I don't think the smell is that, the plastic wrap is only occasionally and at night when the room temp drops.

My Water conditioner does mention the detoxification of heavy metals, but does not treat ammonia. Yes, I just saw the sign at my local Petco and they will test the water for free, I'll try that and I think I should consider buying test strips or what ever else will work.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post

Oh, and I don't remember what anacharis smells like but you're sure that the plastic-y smell isn't your plastic wrap burning or anything, right?
I think I've finally discovered the odd plastic rubber smell. There is a strong "new tire" smell coming from the suction cup on my aquarium thermometers (2) that smells about right. I'm still a little stuffed up but I think I am detecting some sort of sweet oder coming from the plants, but I believe the plastic smell are the suction cups. Fortunately that part has never been under water and I'll keep it that way.

Last edited by Geminis076; 01-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

Have you tried a pedialyte bath? It SAVED my baby wallace from his hunger strike within 2 baths!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up

I would REALLY recommend the pedialyte bath. Remember that its 10 parts water to 1 part pedialyte and it must cover the frogs back. Let him "soak" NO longer than 2 hours. It truly worked miracles with my ADF. He had a BAD skin infection and was losing weight by the minute --- now he's back in his original haven and eating like a monster!

I hope you have the best of luck!

Tags
frog not eating