male african dwarf frog curse? i need help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

male african dwarf frog curse? i need help

I currently have 6 ADF in a 10 gallon tank with my dwarf puffer who is actually a nice puffer. (no, he does not EVER go after the frogs, i made sure of that) I have had them all for well over a year or longer except for my 1 male ADF. Now when i first started getting the frogs, i just happened to end up with all females. So i decided to get 1 male. For whatever reason, my males have always stopped coming out to eat and have died. I am on my fourth one. Sometimes they would be fine for weeks, others only days. The one i have now i have had for over 6 months, and he starting to not come out to eat. He just sits in the cave all day and i rarely see him. I hear him at night doing his mating call which makes me feel better, but i have not seen him eat in almost a week now which is very uncharacteristic. What is going on? This has only happened with my males. Is it just the curse of my males in my tank? I would be devestated to lose this guy, especially since i have had him for awhile now. There are absolutely no other issues with my other frogs. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
is a little "special"

Did you get your water tested? I know my aquatic animals start acting funny if my waters bad...
Teh only other thing I could think of is if the food your feeding them is differnt than what hes used to, and he is just having trouble adjusting to it. What so your feed them?
I havent had any luck what so ever with ADFs tho (mine could hardly live a few days! XD) so I cant really help you that much. ACFs work better with me. ^^

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

thats alot of frogs

Is you water levels ok? Do you feed them frozen food?

I do hope he is ok, I have 1 ADF in my 10 gallon with my Mollies and its done amazingly well with the frozen food...mine is very active and is the first to attack the food falling lol...I hope someone with more knowledge is able to help you out.

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's interesting that you say that because many male African dwarf frogs are known for having problems finding/recognizing food. When I had some, I found this to be true...my females would always come up for food right away but the male needed to have food put literally in front of his face.

I would try offering food with tweezers or something so he sees it...he's probably having trouble competing with the females. Also make sure to get your water tested in case something else is going on.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks for the suggestions. everything else is fine in the tank, water, etc. so i guess i will have to wait and see. i feed them frozen blood worms and every now and then a carnivorous mix. he did come out today and does look skinnier than usual, but he is active. maybe the females just got mad at him for constantly trying to mate with them and banned him to the cave. but i think males do have issues with eating, at least from my experience. my females are extremely active and borderline fat. well if anyone else has any ideas, suggestions, let me know. i would hate to lose frank. i'll try practically hand-feeding him for awhile