Mudpuppies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Mudpuppies

Anyone have info on these guys?I rarely see them in the stores round here,but every now and then there will be one there.I always liked them.How different is their care then newts?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never had one because it gets hot here and I think the aquarium temperature would get too high. They're really cool, though.

The thing is, they need cold temperatures...even moreso then other newts. Many people who have them keep them in the basement or other cool area and some people get chillers installed. If it doesn't get too hot where you live then it would probably be ok.

They are also more sensitive then many other newts and need a larger aquarium to be happy.

If you want, I could give you some links. When I was researching them I came across some pretty good sites .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I would love some links!I wonder if thats the reason they are not common here...because of temps?

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I don't even know what they are =P
I'll have to look them up

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I would love some links!I wonder if thats the reason they are not common here...because of temps?
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ne...aculosus.shtml

The link above is from the best website I've found for newt care . There's a great forum, too.

I know I had more links but I can't find them . Then again, it was nearly two years ago when I was researching mudpuppies!

I think the other reason they are not common is because they tend to be wild-caught and also grow very large. Plus, they are harder to care for then many other amphibians.

I only remember seeing them in a petstore once or twice. They are really neat, though!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Oily Chickenspew

oohhhh mi love mudpuppies my friend had one and 2 days after she got it i babysat it and fell in love! i took SUCH good care of it, then after she got it back she killed it within a week b/c she thought it would be 'interesting' to feed it popcorn ugh, i never forgave her for that! (now to think she just had a kid ) llol

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
oohhhh mi love mudpuppies my friend had one and 2 days after she got it i babysat it and fell in love! i took SUCH good care of it, then after she got it back she killed it within a week b/c she thought it would be 'interesting' to feed it popcorn ugh, i never forgave her for that! (now to think she just had a kid ) llol
She killed it on purpose? How did she do that? How ruude!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Part of the Pack

I love mudpuppies! Dont know much about them, ive seen them ONCE up here in Ak, I wanted to get them, and then they were gone! My mom wouldnt have allowed it anyway though.. she always ruins my plans with pets! haha

--thats sad about the chick feeding it popcorn! I never feed my animals "people food" Unless its grapes or something for my chins
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Herp Nerd

Actually, the vast majority of things sold in pet shops (and bait shops, easy place to get them cheap!) labeled as mud puppies are actually just tiger salamander larvae. I buy a bunch every year from local bait shops and raise them up to salamanders. These pics are of the same animal.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Title Thief Victim

aww soo cute!

Carissasaurus Rex

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Actually, the vast majority of things sold in pet shops (and bait shops, easy place to get them cheap!) labeled as mud puppies are actually just tiger salamander larvae. I buy a bunch every year from local bait shops and raise them up to salamanders. These pics are of the same animal.

Cool! How cute How many have you raised up to be sallies & how much did they cost?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Herp Nerd

I've raised up at least a dozen, they cost about 50 cents to a dollar at a bait store, depending on time of year. They morph and fatten up in about 3-4 months and sell as salamanders for about 15 dollars. They're not high cost animals.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos

Interesting! I would love to raise a salamander like that . Our store rarely has mudpuppies but when they do have them they are the true ones.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thats interesting!

And the stores here haven't carried them in years,but I know they were the real ones.I wish they would sell them again soon,I want one!

* Lisa *

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Mudpuppies Galore

I live in Maine and I can get the real thing by the hundreds. They're simple and easy to catch, and it's possible to catch a hundred in a day without a prolem. I never knew that people liked to keep them as pets. I find them to be a nuissance when I'm fishing. They steal all my bait. If anybody wants one, I think you can ship live fish through UPS. It would probably be a little pricy to ship but I could talk to my local UPS and find out if anyone is interested. If tropical fish can make it acroos the country in a truck so can these guys. I've had them freeze before, put them back in water and watched them thaw out and swim around again, so in that sense I can see why they would make a good pet. They don't die easy, they eat anything, and they are know to live more than twenty years in the wild. Also, check out how cool this is. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Tags
pet shop, pet shops, tropical fish