Mudpuppy&Waterdogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Mudpuppy&Waterdogs

Hello everybody thanks for taking the time to take a look at my post.
I would like to start off by asking if anybody would like to help me out tell me a place where I can get mudpuppy\waterdogs that are cheap and willing to ship to florida.I have a reserach project to do with these and I have spent months looking a bait shop or any form of a person that can help out and I have yet gotten somebody to help.

Please,Please let me know by a message if you are willing to help.I have looked and ask many places and not one have suggested a place.Most common websites I already know but they sell way to expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Playful Pup

have you checked with your local pet stores? you could call them, they would always be cheaper than shipping (and safer). their managers might even be able to get them from headquarters. it can never hurt to ask.
how much money is TOO much money? does anyone here breed and can hook a student up?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Your school can't help you find some? When my class was working on our research projects they ordered some live animals from some science supply place that bred the animals and sold them at a pretty decent price. I'm not sure where though, since I did field work. Also, they won't help you with the costs?

Good luck! I'd be interested in hearing more about your research project, if you'd like to share

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SothPaw View Post
have you checked with your local pet stores? you could call them, they would always be cheaper than shipping (and safer). their managers might even be able to get them from headquarters. it can never hurt to ask.
how much money is TOO much money? does anyone here breed and can hook a student up?

I would like to say thankyou very much for the reply.

But here in florida No petshop will have them or local bait store.Trust me,I have called all around throughout the state and not one has them.To much money is over 100 dollars for me,am just a student trying to get a grade for this important project.Thankyou very much for trying to help.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Your school can't help you find some? When my class was working on our research projects they ordered some live animals from some science supply place that bred the animals and sold them at a pretty decent price. I'm not sure where though, since I did field work. Also, they won't help you with the costs?

Good luck! I'd be interested in hearing more about your research project, if you'd like to share

My school went dry on people that supply them becuase they went out of business.I took interest in these and I really wish I can get somebody to help me.Biological supply are expensive due to the fact that they have to pay for the "catchers" and then all of the staff the only things cheap are dead body parts of animals.I know all of the Science supply companys and I really consider them expensive.

On Project-I would be looking into proteins,differential gene expression,cell disfferentiation, and looking into RNA and DNA factors of mutation.I would also go into gel electrophoresis and the behavior of the animals in general.That is just a small sum up of what I will be doing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 PM
is a little "special"

Have you looked up axolotls?? I was just reading up on them (I REALLY want one now!) and they look pretty similar... Dont know if they would work for you project tho. Theyre about $12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Have you looked up axolotls?? I was just reading up on them (I REALLY want one now!) and they look pretty similar... Dont know if they would work for you project tho. Theyre about $12
Thanks very much for help,but axolots do not have the same genetic traits I am looking for.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Herp Nerd

Well, there are many different animals referred to both as mud puppies and water dogs. Knowing exactly which species you're looking for would help... but anyway, I would suggest contacting Glades Herp, they're located north of Tampa. I don't usually recommend places to buy animals, but if anyone in Florida has something that might suit your needs, it'd be them. If they don't have anything, they could probably point you in the right direction.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well when mudpuppy/waterdogs comes to terms it's either going to be tiger salamander larvae or Necturus maculosus so there is not much of "different animals" .

But no thanks on glades herps I don't like how they go to every petshow to sell animals.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Herp Nerd

There's five or six species in the genus Necturus, and in bait shops almost any salamander larvae are referred to as water dogs, though, yes it is usually the tiger salamander... but tiger salamander is a very different animal than a true water dog - so for a research project I assumed you'd want to know exactly what you were working with.

Unfortunately, short of finding someone who can go out and catch you some, a company like Glades is likely your only choice - though I too don't agree with the amount of wild caught stuff they provide at reptile shows. Tiger salamander larvae are pretty common in bait shops here in Texas, but not this time of year. In a few months they'll start showing up. There must be some place online that sells bait salamanders... you can order almost anything else online.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
find, mudpuppy, waterdog