My found frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation My found frog

Ok,

To start off yes I am new here and I was walking around and found this frog on my deck. So i decided to be nice and try to bribe my parents into letting me keep him/her. It has worked so far. I have positively identified him/her as a Gray Treefrog. I know that him/her should eat 3-4 crickets per inch of its body each week and that they need a room with 65 F+ and that they need a good amount of humidity. Other than that I don't knwo anything. I think that I am jumping into the middle of something but I would love to have a pet and my little brother is allergenic to all furry animals, which rules out alot of the animals I would like. I nkow about the hypoallergentic dogs and cats but I dont think that that will help at all. If you own a frog then help me with my terrarium set-up and other stuff so far my terrarium in blank except for the 10gal. tank that everything is in and the frog and a little plant. I am going to keep him/her in my room because I have a terrarium stand thing. If you have any suggestions then please help me out. Thankls alot!

-Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Astroturf makes good substrate and it works better than that reptile carpeting. Plus, your frog won't ingest it like he could other types.

You need to have foliage in there ... either real or fake. Real is good because it keeps up humidity levels but you can use fake as well ... you can collect branches from outside but you need to either soak them in a mild bleach solution or bake them in the oven before putting them in the aquarium to prevent parasites.

For heating you can use a 15 W bulb but it really isn't that necessary ... make sure you have a shallow water container in there for him.

Make sure you gut-load those crickets ... you can buy gut-load food at your local pet store.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Gut-load?? what does that mean??? fat crickets????? I know nothing of frogs, but I want one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Gut load is a product you get that you feed to crickets. It is made of nutritional products. It is important to gut load your crickets so your reptile receives the nutrients. Otherwise, the crickets don't hold nutritional value -- they are just shells.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks!!!!

Tags
local pet store, pet store