Photos! need help for African Dwarf Frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
yyc

need help for African Dwarf Frog

Please, can anyone tell me what is going on with my African dwarf frog's left leg and how it can be treated? Would appreciate any insight. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_closeup.JPG (34.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 05_closeup.JPG (49.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 02_closeup.JPG (44.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by yyc; 11-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello Earthling

I'll bump this up for you.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm not an amphibian owner, so I'm not sure if these guys are even supposed to have friends in a tank w/them, but if he/she does, could there have been a fight? Or maybe something bacterial in the water? Maybe he/she hurt him/herself on the water filter. I'm not sure, I'm not good with anything underwater.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It could be one of a few different things...a fungal infection, a bacterial infection, or ammonia burns/similar injuries. If you have a vet in your area who treats frogs, I would make an appointment asap so they can properly diagnose him (it's really not easy to diagnose animals over the internet--not only are we not vets but we also can't run any tests).

If not, I would first get your water tested. Make sure you don't have ANY ammonia or nitrites. Even a small ammonia spike could burn a frog's skin like that.

If your water tests ok, do a large water change and begin treating with a general medication for infections (like Binox). The problem is that we don't know if it's bacterial or fungal. So if one medication doesn't work, try the other. Use small doses at first to see how the frog responds. There really aren't any medications on the market approved for aquatic frogs, sadly. The best you can do is use one for fish. That's why I recommended seeing a veterinarian--they can help you with dosages and everything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
african dwarf frog