Needed-Info on African Clawed Frogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question Needed-Info on African Clawed Frogs

Hi PT amigos y amigas!

I would like info on ACF from any of you that have or have had them.

We are considering adding them to our 60 gallon tank which now is housing 2 blue gouramis, 2 angelfish, 2 corydoras(peppered, emerald green), 1 silver dollar and 1 clown loach.
The gouramis I have had forever..lol.. the angelfish are still small, I would say close to quarter size and the corys are small, they about 1 1/2 inch right now. The silver dollar and clown I have also had forever and the are big, my clownie is a fatso!

In the tank I have some live plants as well as the silk fake ones. Also there are lotz of hiding spots as I have some nice large rocks making caves and such.

Question is do you think adding some ACF to this set up will be alright? Do I need to worry about any of the fish I have going after the frogs as a snack or vice versa? Also how big will they end up growing?

Also if I get a pair of ACF and they turn out to be male/female and they happen to fall in love with each other..lol..and have youngins...what are the chances of that happening? Will they breed like crazy and do and I end up having a tank overcrowed with ACF's? Or will the fish eat any eggs that are not well hidden? Are the ACF territorial, will they harrass my fishsies?

I was thinking to avoid the chance of breeding and just get 1 ACF but the kids want at least two or more so they can be buddies. Me too, it would be nice to see a few froggies swimming around Of course we could end up with a frog that is already with frog-child..lol. We dont really want frog babies but if it happens it would be ok.

So should we or shouldnt we? One froggie or two? More?
Oh and there is also the African Dwarf frog...are they better suited for my setup, pros..cons between the two types of frog??

Lve Never Fails

Last edited by luvnature; 11-11-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

After just reading some info online I think the dwarf guys would be better for the tank. What'dya think?

http://www.allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawed.html

http://www.allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Hello Earthling

Dwarf would be a better choice. African clawed frogs will eat other frogs and grow quite large compared to African dwarf frogs.

So I would go with african dwarf frogs for your set-up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Hey Luvy! I like the dwarf froggies. We have two right now. You will have to get their food for them of course, but other than that, be sure that the top of your aquarium is escape proof! My little guys love to try to escape. I have lost alot of them that way. Other than that, they are great additions. SO much fun to watch, and I have never gotten any babies . I wish they would! That would be fun. Little froggies everywhere! LOL. Let me know what you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have to get separate food for them?
Wont they just scavenge and eat the food I put in there?
I feed my fishes regular trop fish food flakes, shrimp pellets and sometimes those tubifex worms and frozen blood worms.
Is there a special froggie food you give them also??

As for escaping..lol...I am making sure that any possible areas are covered.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Hello Earthling

You'll want to feed them bloodworms and various other foods and you'll need to take the time to feed them.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 PM

Hi Luvy! All the food you are feeding is great. They need those tubiflex worms and frozen blood worms. They don't eat much. Mine don't eat the flakes.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

yeah, I read that they will pretty much scavenge whatever they can find and fit in their little froggie mouths.
I think they will do fine then being that I spoil my fishies already with an abundance of a variety of things.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
is a little "special"

I think ADF would be better for your tank.... If you put a ACF in there, he'll think one thing- YUMMY!
I always fed my ADF frozen bloodworms, but my friend had one that ate flakes.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would get African Dwarf Frogs, not African Clawed Frogs. The reason is that sometimes the ACFs go after fish...even if they can't possibly swallow them. While they might not kill them or anything, it's very stressful for the fish.

The only thing I would worry about with ADFs in a large community tank is that they might not get enough food (I personally prefer to keep frogs in their own tank, free of fish, for this reason). Although you might be told that they're scavengers, they usually won't get enough food just by scavenging. You'll need to supplement their diet with various frozen/live foods, such as bloodworms, tiny earthworms, krill, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, etc. They make pellet foods, but your frogs might not eat them anyways .

A lot of ADFs are pretty awful at finding food and you may need to hand-feed them with tweezers a few times a week (otherwise the fish will grab all the food). It can be labor-intensive at times, so you need to ask yourself whether it's worth it or not. Try to feed them in the evening, around the same time each day. They'll get used to the routine .

Remember, you can always just set up a small aquarium (even a 5-gallon is fine for a few frogs) to keep some...separate from your fish . You'll see them a lot more that way and they'll be MUCH easier to feed.

Good luck if you get some!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks Steph!

Tags
acf, african clawed frog, african dwarf frog