Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New African Clawed Frog

Tags
acf frogs
5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  winter_frost 
#1 ·
Today I bought a little African Clawed Frog, it's only about an inch long so I suppose it must be very young. I've got it in a 20 gallon tank on it's own and was wondering if they need the company of others or I can just keep him on his own (I'm not actually sure if it's a male or a female yet, it seems to have a little lump in between it's back legs but it could be the remains of it's tail as I think it might be very very young). Thankyou in advance:)

#3 ·
They don't need to be kept in groups but you certainly can if you want :). Is it definitely a Clawed frog or a Dwarf? I've found that the African Dwarf Frogs seem to enjoy the company of others while the Claweds don't care as much.

#4 ·
I'll get pics up asap, but I have to borrow my flatmates camera as mine broke ages ago and i jusst haven't got round to buying a new one xD.

yeah he is an albino african clawed frog ( I read somewhere that dwarf frogs can't be albino?? and he also has the black claws on his back legs). I suppose I'll eventually get him a friend but the fish, anphibian & reptile shop I usually go to sells them already 2 or 3 inches big and I'm kinda worried he might get eaten?? (I might just be paranoid though lol)

#6 ·
Congrats on your froggie!
Yes, they will eat eachother, so get one thats the same size, or wait for yours to grow a little.
I wouldnt recomend puttign fish in there, unless its koi or something, wich your tank isnt big enough for. ACF will literally eat ANYTHING that moves (or doesnt move...) including rocks, and even some times their own hands! So most fish will just end up being lunch. ;)

#8 ·
Yeah, I've decided to wait until he grows a bit before finding him a little friend.

Ohh woow!! I love fire bellied newts! At some point in the future (probably far away future) I hope to get some ^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.