New pictures of Lucas (also, new additions!) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

New pictures of Lucas (also, new additions!)

Lucas is doing very well...and so is his terrarium. Mushrooms pop up on a regular basis which is supposed to be a good thing, hehe. They're pretty neat.

Also, a few days ago I bought two firebelly toads. The smaller "good" pet store got some in and I jumped on it. I've had a tank for FBTs for a while...just never actually got any .

I don't have any good pictures of the FBTs yet...they weren't being very cooperative .

I do, however, have some new pictures of the dart. The first few are older but the others were taken yesterday.

A couple from over a month ago that I never posted:

And here are the new ones:

I like this one a lot. If you look you can see a fruit fly on the glass that he's hunting:

Mushroom!

Here's one of the FBTs...very blurry, though:

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awesome pictures!
I love your little dart!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thank you!!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Your little dart is so cute! he almost looks like a plastic toy

My Furry Family
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Your little dart is so cute! he almost looks like a plastic toy
Haha, yeah, he does. I've been told that at least five times .

~Stephanie

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Playful Pup

Awwww, you're little leucomela is soooo cute! I'm so excited for mine...(I'm importing 6 in April). You are calling it a he, how can you tell? From what I know about d. tinctorius it has a female attribute (a pronounced hump in the back). Is it different with leucomelas?

Sarah,Tido

Ash,Zeus,Emma,Libby,ATB

Ryan

(Leopards)Sandy,Stephanie,Kalli,Monster,Ilul iaq,Maggie,Peter,Luke,Amara,Frozone,Lexie

(Cresteds)William,Chris,Danielle,Jojo,Anita, Victoria

Lemmiwinks,Fred,Ben&Jerry
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
Awwww, you're little leucomela is soooo cute! I'm so excited for mine...(I'm importing 6 in April). You are calling it a he, how can you tell? From what I know about d. tinctorius it has a female attribute (a pronounced hump in the back). Is it different with leucomelas?
I don't know for sure, to be honest. Since I don't plan on breeding it doesn't matter to me. I just call him a "he" for some reason .

But yes, they are more difficult to sex then the Tincs. The main way to tell is if you here them call...then you know it's a male. I haven't heard Lucas call yet (I do house him alone so that might be part of the reason) and I'm thinking he is really a female :p. I just can't stop calling him a "he", haha.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Oily Chickenspew

Mr. Dart = aww!! so cute!!!
And i have my FBT and they are crazy and jump at my camera and i get the funniest pix.... haha. how are your toads doing now?

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004 View Post
Mr. Dart = aww!! so cute!!!
And i have my FBT and they are crazy and jump at my camera and i get the funniest pix.... haha. how are your toads doing now?
The FBTs are doing well...ate on the first day and everything . I have to say...it was nice bringing home "easy" pets that eat without any problems. Unlike my dart frog or marine fish. Haha.

They have been named Merry and Pippin. Merry is out and about most of the time and doesn't seem very afraid of me. Pippin, on the other hand, has been hiding a lot. I'm keeping a close eye on him in case it's a medical problem...I think he just needs time to get used to his new home, though.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Oily Chickenspew

yea, mine hid for awhile when i first got them

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow i love that frog, so gorgeous!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Oh, your frog is absolutely beautiful!! I have two terrariums set up, one for Fire Belly Toads and one for my little tree frogs. Can you tell me what it takes to have a frog like yours? I'm not even sure if we can have those where I am, but if so, I would love to have some. But, could you tell me about them?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKityLvsBrdsTo View Post
Oh, your frog is absolutely beautiful!! I have two terrariums set up, one for Fire Belly Toads and one for my little tree frogs. Can you tell me what it takes to have a frog like yours? I'm not even sure if we can have those where I am, but if so, I would love to have some. But, could you tell me about them?
Thank you!

I'm no expert so I'm going to link you to some websites.

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ndartfrog.html
http://www.blackjungle.com/dartfrogarticle.html
http://www.saurian.net/htm05/froginfo_main.html

The main thing you have to figure out is diet. You can't just buy crickets every week or two like with FBTs. Actually, most darts won't even eat crickets and if they do you need pinheads which grow fast and/or die-off. They are harder to find anyways.

A common staple is fruit flies. You can get wingless or flightless ones...they won't fly all over your house or anything. Unless you have a store nearby that sells them you'll have to order them. It also gets expensive just buying them on a regular basis (unless you're me and get discounts, haha) so culturing them is a good idea. There are plenty of articles online about that. Another good dart frog food is springtails but they are tricky to find.

Remember that even though darts are small they eat a TON of insects. They also like tiny ones...you can't just give them a few large feeders and call it a night.

I'm sure they're legal where you are, I can't see why they wouldn't be.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 AM

Wow, thank you for all of that information! It looks like they won't be the frog for me. :o( They are beautiful though. I just wouldn't have time for all that they need. As it is, I am worried about when my husband will want to go on vacation this year. I baby all of my terrariums and other pets so much that even when I get a baby-sitter, I will worry. But, thank you so much for all of that information. You are great!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKityLvsBrdsTo View Post
Wow, thank you for all of that information! It looks like they won't be the frog for me. :o( They are beautiful though. I just wouldn't have time for all that they need. As it is, I am worried about when my husband will want to go on vacation this year. I baby all of my terrariums and other pets so much that even when I get a baby-sitter, I will worry. But, thank you so much for all of that information. You are great!
Yeah, I'm lucky that I know a lot of other people who are into reptiles and can care for them when I'm not around .

They are really great pets, just a little more difficult then a lot of other frogs.

~Stephanie

Tags
pet store, tree frog