Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Is this ok for 2 ADF's....

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Calmwaters 
#1 ·
I have had fish tanks now for 23 years all my tanks are planted and I do regular water changes. This is my first time trying to keep ADF's and I never have bought fish or other pets with out researching them first until now.:rolleyes: I original bought just one ADF but then read they like company so I bought another, I also at first had them in one of my fish tanks but they were haveing a hard time getting food so I moved them into a 2.5 gallon tank by themselves. Right now there is a small heater that is for 2-5 gallon tanks, gravel from an established fish tank, a small internal filter, and two silk plants. I plan on getting some real plants soon to replace the fake ones. Is this a good setup? I am thinking about replaceing the gravel with sand if you guys think that would be better. And what plants would be good? I would like a floating plant like wisteria, as well as a small plant pygmy chain swords. If I need to I can later on get a 5 gallon tank if the 2.5 is not enough room for them. There names are Iggy and Ziggy and I have had Ziggy for 3 days and Iggy I just got today.:D Sorry its kind of long but thank you all for reading it and helping me.

#2 ·
2.5 gallons is kinda small, I'd go for the 5-gallon :). Much more stable (as you're aware) and it'll give them some more swimming room.

I'd be careful with the gravel. Frogs have a tendency to swallow rocks by accident during feeding, leading to impaction (almost always fatal). If they're large rocks, they'll be ok. But otherwise I'd keep the tank bare-bottom or replace the gravel with sand (you said you could do that anyways).

What internal filter do you have? Make sure they can't get their legs caught, they're poor swimmers. You may have to cover the intake with mesh.

Welcome to Paw-Talk, by the way! :) It sounds like you're going to have a really nice set-up.

#3 ·
The filter I have is the Penn-Plax Small World Filter they have at Petco. I tried to post a link to it but I can't. LOL I wanted to get just a sponge filter but they did not have any at petco today when I went so I will order one for the 5 gallon. Iggy and Ziggy are very small right now so I don't think they can swallow the rocks that are in there but I will change it to sand when I get the 5 gallon tank hopefully this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.