OMG! Found a Way To Save Money!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Talking OMG! Found a Way To Save Money!!!

As some of you know, I have a ZOO! Now, 5 terrariums of different kinds of exotic frogs who need alot of crickets, rats, degus, cats, aquarium, a horse and I feed wild birds by the dozens! Well, I was doing great with the funds, until our local "family owned" pet stores ALL went out of business where I got my great deals on medium sized crickets, forcing me to have to buy my crickets at PetCo and PetSmart. OMG, I was not only going broke, but my crickets weren't getting what they were used to eating. The crickets were smaller, and I just couldn't afford to keep up buying so many crickets to keep them all fed. I was looking at having to find them homes. UNTIL.... I talked to a store employee who I made friends with who helped me out with a new idea.) I now order my own crickets for a fraction of the cost online and they are delivered to my door! They aren't hard to keep, just a bit hard to get used to! LOL (BOY DO THEY HOP!!!) hee hee. They are the right size, my frogs are happy and not hungry anymore and I am getting to keep them all. If you noticed, I said I have 5 tanks now, YEP, I ADDED another tank, with 4 new frogs! Two new species. I will show you pictures when I can. I am having a bit of a problem with them, as the new froggies have come down with a virus and I am treating them. Too sad. I've only had them a week and they have a problem! But I know they will get better. I keep saying prayers for them and I am hoping for the best. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know, where there is a will, there is a way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MzKityLvsBrdsTo; 02-07-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

YAY good news!

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Hello Earthling

Great news !!

Have you thought of breeding them yourself, using what you need and selling extras?
If you have a market for crickets out there I am sure you could make a little extra cash to spoil your pets even more : )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Yeah, I agree with canadiancritter... and even if you don't sell them, breeding them makes each batch last longer! That's what I do with Cleo's crickets. I order online 250 crickets and keep breeding them, they last for months! and they are really easy to breed. Just keep some of the adult crickets and add a bowl of moist soil to the setup you have your crickets in and they'll do all the work, LOL.

Dimaris

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Padfoot! That's all there is to it? That is a great idea. Thanks. I have soil. I just bought some to re-plant a couple of plants. Thanks for the idea. Couldn't hurt to try. So far, I ordered 500 and it has lasted me longer than I could have imagined, just because they are the right size I need! My poor frogs were hungry and I just couldn't keep up getting them from the pet stores, and they couldn't keep up with my demands! This way is going to be GREAT! Thanks everyone. AND, thank you, to whoever moved my post to the right section, hee hee. I goof sometimes.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello Earthling

Like Padfoot said crickets are very easy to breed, I use to have to squish little pinheads in the gecko tank before.

Check out these links for more information on breeding crickets
http://www.iosphere.net/~ajs/breeding.htm
http://www.wormman.com/breeding_crickets.cfm
http://www.arbreptiles.com/bugs/crix.shtml

Also do a YouTube search there is a ton of great videos : )

Tags
save money tips