Please help! Injured Dwarf frog need! Need advice immediately! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Please help! Injured Dwarf frog need! Need advice immediately!

My boyfriend and I became proud owners of originally 4 African Dwarf Frogs this past Saturday. The day after we got them, we had to return one, as he was shedding badly, not swimming or reacting to any stimuli including food or slight prodding by splashing him. The lady at the pet store said he was sickly when she nabbed him for us, and that the others should be fine; that this one probably had a virus or disease. We tested the water that day to make sure there was nothing funny just in case. All tests came up clear. As of now, 2 more are shedding, but seem to be ok.

However, yesterday after doing some homework and eating my dinner, I decided to feed them theirs. 2 of the frogs I think are trying to mate (lots of peeping going on in the plastic stump we bought them to play in) but the 3rd, Pebble, likes to watch me when come up to the tank and crush the food. Evidently he got a little excited and got too close to the filter when he was swimming circles and got one of his feet caught in one of the little slits at the bottom of the tube. This had never been a problem before, maybe the water level was lower than normal. I try to fill it to the same level with old tap water every evening.

Anyway, when this happened, the current from the filter twisted him backward and I think it broke his foot, if not his leg. He can still swim, albeit slowly and not as fluidly as before. He also very susceptible to the current of the filter now, even after I raised the water level higher than normal. They are in a 5.5 gallon tank, with a Top Fin 10 filter- The smallest any store in the area had.
I have now wrapped the tube with pantyhose, but am still worried about poor Pebbles. I also have a carrying tank that my boyfriend surprised me with for when I travel home.

As of right now, he his huddled on the side of the filter tube by the heater, that is away from the current. I don't know if he's moved or what he's done all night, but I'm REALLY worried about him. Should I put him in the extra tank and buy a smaller filter, one that will suction inside the tank and has no holes in it, like a Whisper? How long would/will it take for him to heal? What are his chances? If you can't tell, he's kind of my favorite... Please help my little boy.

Last edited by badirishluck; 04-16-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 AM
I am allergic to maths

Cant you take him to the vet? Sorry other than that I have no advice, I have no experience with froggys. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I already looked in the yellow pages for this area. Unfortunately, because my school is in such as small town, I would need to travel almost two hours to get to the closest city with a vet that could POSSIBLY help.
I can't even get frozen bloodworms here. I have to drive an hour to get them. They're worth it, I love them and I would drive the two hours, but I need the money to do so. And unfortunately, I get that money by teaching- today. >_<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well I´ve never had this happen to any of my frogs but if he is having trouble swimming you may want to put him in a smaller tank where he can reach the surface easily. As for the filter you could try to cover the hole with some sort of mesh or something. Good luck!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Can you at least call the vet for advice?

I agree with Veronica about moving him to a small, shallow tank. And instead of running a filter in it, just do lots of water changes.

Sorry that I don't have any more advice, I've never had this happen.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I moved Pebbles to the other tank and prayed for the best, but he didn't make it. Later that evening, he was gone.

I didn't know if it was the leg or an infection, so I cleaned out the emergency tank and tested the other tanks water.

When I came back from drying the tank, the tests were done, and at near fatal levels. I have no idea how they got that way in 4 days, but I immediately put tap water and instant dechlorinator into the emergency tank. I waited for 3 minutes and then pulled my last 2 frogs out and placed them into the tank. I hand washed (in gloves) each stone and decoration in near boiling water along with the tank- all separately. I put in a new filter after rinsing out the machine and the filter itself. I even rinsed off the heater.
I put everything back, used the instant dechlorinator, allowed the water to get to the right temperature, and even retested the water for it's ammonia and nitrite levels (they were ideal or near ideal). I used all of the water from the emergency tank when I replaced the frogs, and did it very slowly. They water looked clear, the frogs were active and seemed fine.

I fed them last night and something went wrong. The water is murky, the frogs are lethargic, and one of them seems to be shedding- only it's more so his skin is slouging off! He is meerly floating at the top but not "zen-style" More sickly, like Pebbles did right before he passed. He reacts when stimulated, which is a good sign, but I'm afraid to leave him and the other frog like this. The first one that I had to return did this, and the shop keeper said he probably had a fungus, but we shouldn't worry. I've cleaned the tank twice since then! What is going on???

I feed them crushed up sinking shrimp pellets. They were out of frozen bloodworms. I'm calling stores around the area right now to find some, but I'm panicing. I don't want to lose anymore, and I'm starting to feel like some sort of serial frog killer. I did months of research before I bought these little guys, and one thing after another has gone wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It sounds like you didn't cycle the aquarium before adding the frogs. Unfortunately, those fatal levels of ammonia and nitrite are normal during a cycle and will keep popping up--in fact, you need them to in order to have the cycle complete and beneficial bacteria to start their colonies.

I would recommend keeping the frogs in the hospital tank for now and do large, daily water changes to keep ammonia down. Meanwhile, cycle the main tank by adding a shrimp pellets every so often to produce ammonia. Google "fishless cycling" for more detail on that or ask me any questions. Once the main tank has zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and some nitrate you can put the frogs back (might want to use a gravel vac first since the shrimp pellets will have rotted) and things should stay stable with weekly partial water changes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
african dwarf frog, filter, injury, leg