Ready to introduce a filter to my tank - how to prep? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Ready to introduce a filter to my tank - how to prep?

Hello,

I found my filter and would like to introduce it to my tank. Found the original receipt inside the box, looks like it was purchased in 1997 - wow that's how long ago I had my last african dwarf frog! Still runs great and even has several new foam inserts as well as a few used ones.

The filter I have is a Fluval #1, and based on the paper work I believe it does not require any carbon products or inserts. Looks like carbon is for units above #1. It's nice and small, perfect size for my 2.5 gallon plastic terrarium tank (yes I know something bigger would be better =\ ). It's quiet, but looks like the top needs to be slightly out of the water and there will be a constant stream coming out from the top.

What's the best way to introduce this? Should I place it in something separate first with dirty frog water and let it filter that for sometime? If yes then I'm wondering which water to go with - I have two options. The frogs are originally Frog-O-Sphere frogs from Brookstone and had been in their sphere since Dec. 23rd, until about two days ago. The sphere is nice and dirty, I did do a few partial water changes but it's still nice and gross, and stinky - has less than half of its water, about 35%.

So the frogs have been in the 2.5 home for about two days, I did place gravel from the Brookstone sphere, its two now fuzzy rocks, and about 60% percent of the water into the new place (didn't dump in all of it in case I needed "original source water"). Haven't really done a water change to the new place, probably did about 15% change tonight because the top had an oily skin from food, most likely the mealworms I tried out.

If I should let it filter dirty water, which source should I go with and how long should I do this - a day, longer? Now this would be to introduce bacteria correct? After this is done and the filter is in, should I constantly have it running, or could I maybe just turn it on for an hour or so say twice a day? How often should I clean or replace the foam insert, and when a new insert is placed should I repeat the recommended process once again? How safe would it be to safely clean a used filter pad and reuse it?

Thanks!

~Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

As long as you continue doing regular, small water changes in the new tank then yeah, letting it run for about a day in the original tank could be beneficial . The filter should always be running once it's in the tank. If you turn it off, it could start to dry out, killing the bacteria.

You can rinse off the insert once a month (it's usually recommended you rinse it with water that's already had the chlorine removed). I usually only replace those kinds of inserts once or twice a year. When you do that, leave the old insert in too for a bit so that the bacteria can transfer over. If you can't fit both in the filter, put the old one under the gravel or something. Speaking of gravel, make sure you're using rocks that are too big to be swallowed. Many people have lost their frogs because they accidentally swallowed a piece of gravel during feeding time. I recommend using "river stones" (they're larger and smoother than gravel) or sand.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
filter in freshwater tank