Red eyed treefrog ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Red eyed treefrog ?

Hi, im thinking of getting a red eyed tree frog as a pet...What are the pros and cons (good and Bad ) things about one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a pet you can handle and interact with, a red-eyed treefrog (or any frog, really) wouldn't be a good choice. They're fragile and sensitive--you can't hold them or anything like that. They're more of a viewing kind of pet (like fish) .

You also have to be diligent about maintaining proper temperatures and humidity. Not having the right environment will make them sick. It's not really difficult but it does usually mean misting the tank several times a day in dryer times of the year (so if you go away for the weekend you need someone to stop by).

They need live food. There's no way around this. Make sure you're ok with handling live insects.

They need a large, tall enclosure with lots of branches and vines to climb on. That's not a huge deal but check to see if you have a place to put the tank (with access to an electrical outlet).

They're exotics. If your frog gets sick, he'll need to see an exotics vet. This can be more expensive (but you have a chinchilla so you're used to that!).

All that being said, they're very cool animals. They're interesting to watch and it's fun to set up a natural-looking environment for them (look into live plants!). Planted terrariums are beautiful when properly maintained .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

thanks for the info Sasami. We also have crested geckos so the terrarium thing is common around here. My daughter is the one who really wants the frog. (she's 12 and helps me with the cresties so I think she is responsible. What I really want to know is are they noisey? I don't want to be up all night listening to it croak. Do they do that and if so is it loud? I've tried to look it up on youtube but it's hard to tell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't have enough experience with them to really say but they don't seem to sing very often. It's not a very loud noise, either.

Is your daughter interested in treefrogs in general? The White's Treefrog is hardier and easier to care for . They can even tolerate some handling (I wouldn't hold one just to hold it but they CAN be picked up if needed). The American Green Treefrog is another great "beginner" species. If you have a reptile expo near you, maybe go together and check out all of the different frog species .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
is a little "special"

Hey there!

Just wanted to pop in and say that African Clawed frogs are great too! They are aquatic, but you can "handle" them under water if you want, and they are really fun to hand-feed! Ive had my boy for about 4 years now, and he is pretty fun. Ive "trained" him to come to the top and eat from my fingers, and I love listening to him sing at night. They are actually pretty personable, very hardy, and live 15+ years.

Thought I would throw in another froggy option, LOL.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Newborn Pup

I used to have a red eye, he was awesome!
As far as them making noise, only the males call(which I had).
It was an amazing little chirp which was not heard too often.
You need to spray them down and keep a 1/2- 2/3s of the aquarium top covered(over a screen top of course).
Also, to keep a good ambient temp in the tank,put a submersible heater in a jar of water with some screening over it and he should fair well(given the fact that the temp in your home doesn't get to cold either).
They sleep all day so expect not to see him hopping about till you get home from work.