Tadpoles, Bullfrog, Tank size? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Tadpoles, Bullfrog, Tank size?

I am thinking of getting 1 tadpole, I think a bullfrog tadpole, how big of a tank will I need for 1 adult when it gets bigger. I know I need a semi-aquatic tank.

1 Bearded Dragon
3 Red Eared Sliders
1 Rabbit
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i'm guessing pretty big, but i don't think you would have to start out that way because one with one tadpole i don't know at how high the chances of survival... good luck though!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

10 gallon?

1 Bearded Dragon
3 Red Eared Sliders
1 Rabbit
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

someone I know on another forum got a tadpole (apparently they are shipped A LOT with goldfish shipments to pet stores) and I believe for now they are keeping it in a ten gallon tank. Good Luck, I heard they are hard to raise sometimes.

*Missy*
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've had some in my turtle tank before, and they turned to a frog, but the two turtles corned it and ate it.
So I want to put it in a danger free- non-turtle inhabitated tank.
10 Gallon ok, what about when he got the adult frog?

1 Bearded Dragon
3 Red Eared Sliders
1 Rabbit
2 Goldfish
4 Hermit Crabs
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

A ten gallon should be okay for a frog because they're really inactive. just google around and see what you can find.

*Missy*
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't really agree that frogs are inactive (no offence! ). I'm just saying that, because I have a ACF and even though he has deformed front legs, he's very active always swimming around the tank. Also, my friend has three leopard frogs and they're always hopping/swimming around and are definatly active!

I don't know how big of a tank you would need, but bullfrogs can get pretty big. My parents have a frog pond across the street from their house and you wouldn't believe the size of some of the bullfrogs we cought from there.

You should try doing more research to find out what size cage ppl recommend. I know that for ACF, I've been told that 30 gals is the smallest tank one frog should have - from other ppl I've heard 10 gals per each frog. But the more space the better, because they need the space to swim and for hides. I wouldn't think that 10 gals would be enough for an adult bullfrog since they get pretty big.

Have fun if you do get one, it's so interesting watching the tadpoles change into frogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't edit my post for some reason

But anyways, I found some sites that said that 10 - 15 gals is enough for 1 bullfrog if it's on the smaller side. Maybe the frogs I use to catch were just strange gaint mutant frogs.

Maybe you could start with a 10 gal, and if your frog gets to big get a bigger tank?

Quote:
For a bullfrog 1-3 inches,a 10 gallon would work.For a bullfrog 4-6 inches-a 20 gallon.For a bullfrog any larger than this can be housed in a 30g long.(you may house bullfrogs together but they have been know to be cannibalistic so be sure to house them the same size.
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/777.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats what i was thinking bullfrogs i used to catch were way too big for a ten gal, there wouldn't be enough room for em to swim at all. but it would be ok to start off in i think
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I would go with a 20-gallon for an adult American Bullfrog as they get pretty big and need room to swim . You can start the tadpole in a smaller tank, though.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Herp Nerd

An adult American Bullfrog could blow the lid clean off 20 gallon. I had one in a 3 foot high custom aquarium and he had no problem at all jumping out the top, and was strong enough to break a screen and a plastic lid. Of course, when they're younger they could be kept in a smaller tank, but a big frog is going to need something MUCH larger, and much more secure. Plus, if it's high enough for him to jump up, but not get out, he could even end up hurting himself by banging into the ceiling and falling. This, and that they tend to be rather high strung animals, is why I usually don't recommend American Bullfrogs for pets. There are many other species of frogs, like Pacman or Pyxie Frogs that get impressively big, but are generally easier to deal with and house - not to mention, are easier to find captive bred in the pet trade instead of taking animals from the wild.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Playful Pup

I agree with Ravnos, Bullfrogs are wired with energy, and will try to jump out, now a Pacman on the other hand, would be perfect for that tank
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe when i was little i remember trying to catch bull frogs and leopard frogs by our pond, one time i remember chasing a bull frog and he jumped right over me

mind you i was short and young but i am still amazed

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Newborn Pup

my bull frog is in a three foot long tank by 2 foot high by 2 foot back to front if this helps

any animal will bite if mistreated or provocted , my chair is just my transport, i have a voice of my own

Tags
bigger tank, captive bred, pet store, pet stores, pet trade