Are there any amphibian owners out there? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wanted: New Title

Are there any amphibian owners out there?

I was just curious if there was anyone who owned one or more of this fun species.

I love frogs but don't own any.

I know we have one fire newt owner.

We need some stories and pictures.

Please post away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:45 PM

I own 2 dumpy tree frogs. Icky and Sticky, I had Gross but she passed away a few months ago Here is a picture I took a while back of all three of them.

As long as you don't mind feeding live crickets they are extremely easy to care for. And a few dollars a week for feeding. Besides my snake they are really easy to clean up after.

Okay I lied I don't have the picture anymore Now I have no pictures of Gross
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, I'm sorry. I love their names. My dad caught a toad and forg and kept them in a terrarium. They loved worms and beetles. They would fight over them even though he fed them well. They were quite the pair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:14 PM

Icky

Just took some pictures. They were in the dirt so they have it all over them. If they were sitting in their water they would be a little cleaner lol. But I wanted to get pictures immediately. This is not their usual color. Usually they are more of an olive green/brown but since they were outside of the water hunting crickets they were a little dry. They love to be misted. When I take the water bottle out they stick their little heads out of their hiding places and into the spray SOOOOO CUTE! And you guys wonder why I like frogs so much LOL!

Enjoy the pictures! This first one is of both Icky and Sticky. Icky is the larger one in the front (female) and Sticky is the smaller one (male). Don't worry they have to be in very specific conditions to breed so I don't have tadpoles! Males are always smaller and are vocal. They make a "barking" sound and will occasionally join in with my dogs when they go off into a barking tangent Females just sit around and get large LOL.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:17 PM

Close up of Sticky

Here is Sticky. You can see the clear membrane that protects their eyes when sleeping or when under water.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:19 PM

Another one of Sticky
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:20 PM

Icky

Here is a shot of Sticky and you can see her little yellow spots on her back. Icky does not have the spots and is a little bluer than she is.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:21 PM

And here is one more picture of the two of them together. I had to beg them to stay like this for the picture. They usually don't move that much but they wanted to get back into their warm tank lol.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Ohhh, they are so cute! I can defintely see why you like frogs. My hubby wants to eventually get a Pac Man frog. We just have to wait until we have a larger house. It will be a zoo.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Herp Nerd

I have a White's, two green trees, and a tiger salamander. The green tree frogs were in the middle of a dark road I was driving down one night, so they came home with me... the White's is the last remaining of four I rescued. They all had a nasty bacterial infection that was eating away their skin. I cleared up the infection, fattened them up a bit, and gave away the other frogs and kept one for myself. The tiger salamander I bought at a bait shop for 50 cents as a fully aquatic baby... and raised him up. He's about a year old now.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Wow, Rav, those guys are cool. Are they hard to take care of? It sounds like you have quite the assortment of animals. What all do you have?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Herp Nerd

Green trees are no harder than White's to care for. Humid enclosure, crickets for food... tiger salamanders are real simple, lost of humidity, good hiding place and again - crickets for food.

Heh... and what I keep, thats no easy question... lizards (monitors, iguanas, tegus, chameleons, spineys, collareds), spiders (mainly tarantulas), scorpions, frogs, toads, salamander, some snakes of various kinds, birds... not to mention a few fuzzies. Most of my collection is rescues or otherwise abandoned animals.

Rav

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Wow again Rav. Do you have a monstrous house? I have aspirations of having a house where our iguana has his own room, our collareds have a window cage and our beardeds have a big corner cage. Of course than we can add the tropical cage as well. Maybe get a few tarantulas. Not to mention a couple of kids a dog or two, several cats, maybe some chinnies. I want one or more of each. I think I am crazy because I would be the cook, dishwasher, cage cleaner, counselor, etc.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Herp Nerd

Not huge, but I make creative use of the space... rodents have a room, turtles have a room, snakes have a room, iguanas have a room... etc. Lots of shelving.

Rav

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 04:03 PM

Rav's got the couch!

Tags
tree frog