Is too much Water Conditioner bad for African Dwarf Frogs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Is too much Water Conditioner bad for African Dwarf Frogs?

Hello,

I recently received 2 African Dwarf Frogs for Christmas purchased from a Brookstone store, but don't worry! - I am not following their care instructions which after doing a ton of research now sound very unbelievable and ridiculous! I'll describe how ridiculous after posting my questions.

I'm new to ADF care but have done a lot of research, I would like to place them in something larger and I'm currently getting things ready and cleansing and treating everything that will go inside. I'm wondering about the Tap Water Conditioner. I'm following the directions, but sometimes the drops really like to rush out. I'm wondering if anything would happen if I accidentally over drop?

I'm having trouble trusting the Tap Water Conditioner since it's a little tough to believe that a few drops will remove harmful elements from a gallon or more of water. What I have ton so far is boil the required amount, add in drops, and let it sit over night. Frogs have not yet been moved in or introduced to my water, but I did do a 50% water change with pet store fish water because the water was getting dirty due to feeding, and since it came from an unfamiliar source I wasn't sure how clean it was to begin with.

My last question is about feeding, how often should they be fed? Is every day ok or should I stick with every other day? I've been feeding them everyday, but small amounts. They're good healthy responsive eaters, have fed them both frozen and dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and the store pellets they came with but they like to spit those out and I don't think they like them - I break them into smaller pieces. I will try other food recommendations I have read on here like krill. Oh and, I've been reading that they are nocturnal, true? If so, should I feed them in the evenings or night?

So to highlight some of my questions:

1. Harmful if I use too many drops of water conditioner?
  2. How quickly does it work, should I let it sit for a bit?
  3. Is the "boil -> drops -> sit overnight" water method OK?
  4. How often should I fed them?
  5. Does time of day matter for feeding? Night vs. Day
  6. Wondering why 100% water changes are not often recommended? Been reading a lot of 20%-50% suggestions, no I do not have a filter.

Thanks for any help and info! Now for my Brookstone store ADF care comments:

For those of you not familiar with their booklet's recommended care, the tank size they are sold in is about less than 1/2 a gallon for two frogs - smaller than a shoe box. It says to change the water twice a year because the set up is suppose to be some sort of living set-up and cleans itself. Also says to only use bottled drinking water, which I have now learned that bottled water may contain harmful additives. You are instructed to feed each frog 2 pellets twice a week, I don't believe other foods are mentioned.

The friend who bought these for me also bought a set for her 6 year old son, she's a very busy person who doesn't have time to research info so I'm doing it for the both of us. She was very ready to follow the booklet but none of it sounded logical or natural to me so I decided to do a little digging. They are starting to grow on me and I'll try my best to keep these little nerds healthy and comfortable, I'm very concerned about my friend's frog's well-being and will help and advise her as much as possible.

Thanks for reading my very long first post and thanks for any information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Hello Earthling

Harmful if I use too many drops of water conditioner?
A few extra drops shouldn't be a problem, but you'll don't want to many extra drops.
How quickly does it work, should I let it sit for a bit?
The drops are supposed to work right away, but you can let it sit out, which will also let the water get to room temperature.
Is the "boil -> drops -> sit overnight" water method OK?
Never heard of that method. When I am chaning water in aqutic enviornments I usally just fill a bucket, add the required amount of water conditioner and let it sit out.
How often should I fed them?
Every other day should be fine.
Does time of day matter for feeding? Night vs. Day
When I had ADF's I feed them at what ever time I got around to feeding. I don't think time really matters.
Wondering why 100% water changes are not often recommended? Been reading a lot of 20%-50% suggestions, no I do not have a filter.
A 100% water change removes to much benificial bacteria and cause the tank to cycle again, which can be stressful on the frogs. A 20% every few days (depending on the size of your tank) should be good IMO.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

watch out if you have rocks at the bottom anything that can fit in their mouth will be swallowed and can kill them.

Boiling water takes out some stuff that is good for them and leaves some stuff that is bad for them... so i don't advise doing it.

heres a good care sheet http://www.herpcenter.com/african-cl...caresheet.html

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

A few extra drops won't harm them but adding too much can actually coat their gills and cause problems IF the brand you're using has something to promote the slime coat ("Stress Coat" water conditioner does this and I think "AquaSafe" might). But don't over-dose because you think it'll be more effective. If it says to add a few drops, a few drops is all you need .

How quickly it works depends on the product. I use "Prime" and it's supposed to work instantly. I don't leave the water out overnight and I've never had a problem--even with sensitive species like shrimp and corals. Leaving it out like that is fine, though, if it makes you feel better . There's no need to boil the water, though.

How often to feed depends a bit on how much you're feeding them. I usually fed my frogs 3-4 times a week. Every other day is usually fine and prevents accidental over-feeding.

My frogs were more responsive when fed in the evening but it shouldn't matter as long as they eat.

The reason 100% water changes aren't recommended is because they stress out the animals and also remove beneficial bacteria from the aquarium. However, since you don't have a filter, doing large water changes would be a good idea. I still wouldn't change all of the water, though. Are you planning to get a filter for the new tank? You don't need anything fancy, just a simple hang-on-back or in-tank filter would work. Make sure it's not too strong and that there's no way for the frogs to get caught. Once you have a filter, read up on aquarium cycling. Cycled aquariums are stable and easier to maintain. If you opt not to get a filter, consider adding some hardy live plants to provide some natural filtration.

By the way, I think it's great that you're doing research and trying to learn how to care for them properly .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks a lot for everyone's comments so far, very much appreciated! I have a new and even longer topic I'm about to post right now .

Tags
water conditioner